African American Studies 2009

anxious1

Did anyone else apply to African-American Studies programs? I applied to a few PhD programs. Northwestern is probably my top choice. It's been difficult finding information about departments and other grad students' experiences etc. Would love to hear where folks applied and why. Hearing from current students would be great too.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to all who have been accepted. I was denied at Northwestern, which was rather crushing, but expected. Still waiting on Indiana and UMass. How did you all decide on where to apply? I think UMass looks great, for example, but it doesn't seem to get talked about as much. And the Indiana PhD is brand new.

You know what though? The graduate assistant told me (actually emailed) that "Notifications regarding admission decisions will be sent out mid February".

I guess she meant notifications regarding rejection...

Did you have to email to ask? I never received notices from Berkeley. I had to call just to make sure my application was complete. I guess we'll know our statuses any day now as it is the middle of February.

Do you mind if I ask what your focus is?

Harvard made its calls 2 days ago. (My advisers are on the AdComm.) Incredibly difficult to get in, this year.

Good news for some of you, I hope!

I'm currently at Harvard and I am shocked to hear this. Can you elaborate (maybe by pm)? So depressing...

Hey guys.

Applied to Berkeley and Northwestern's African American Stuides; got accepted by Berkeley a coupla days ago and rejected by Northwestern today. Also applied to Yale's combined AfAm/American Studies, but haven't heard yet. Didn't apply to AfAm at Harvard; applied to the History of Am Civ program there, as well as Brown's American Civilization. Haven't heard from either one of them yet either.

Happily, of the straight AfAm programs, Berkeley was my top choice--though I NEVER expected to get in. So very happy here.

Hopefully more good news will come in!

Congrats to those of you who have gotten good news and Good luck to everyone!

GG

Thanks d1k...but you confuse me: Was your friend admitted LAST year on the 22nd of Feb? Or did you mean s/he was admitted on the 22nd of Jan?

Also, was wondering if anyone might be able to answer this: When one gets the phone message about acceptance, and they don't mention funding other than "you've been nominated for fellowship," does that mean one could be admitted w/o funding? Or just that the funding matters haven't been worked out yet, and might be by the time I receive the official letter in the mail?

Do I address this stuff when my advisor calls? (I was told that I should be getting a call from my appointed advisor in a few days.)

Thanks!

GG

I'm happy this thread is finally getting some traction. :)

Harvard made its calls 2 days ago? Are you sure? I called and the office assistant told me that they hadn't started notifying yet. (That could very well be a ruse to avoid the disappointed questions, though.)

This is absolutely crushing...but I guess I can stop waiting around with bated breath. I'm glad that I applied to so many masters programs ; I'm really banking on Cornell now! Anyone else besides Othello's alter applying?

Congrats to all the Berkeley and Northwestern admits! (I'd love it if you all could post your stats/interests/etc.,)

Oh, and to whomever asked-- Yale does have the final list of admits.

Bon courage,

NF

Thanks d1k...but you confuse me: Was your friend admitted LAST year on the 22nd of Feb? Or did you mean s/he was admitted on the 22nd of Jan?

Also, was wondering if anyone might be able to answer this: When one gets the phone message about acceptance, and they don't mention funding other than "you've been nominated for fellowship," does that mean one could be admitted w/o funding? Or just that the funding matters haven't been worked out yet, and might be by the time I receive the official letter in the mail?

Do I address this stuff when my advisor calls? (I was told that I should be getting a call from my appointed advisor in a few days.)

Thanks!

GG

Sorry for the confusion - a friend was notified on Feb 22, 2008 for admission to the joint Yale Af-Am program. (Not sure if s/he'd like anymore identifying information than that posted.) I can say, however, that customarily the congratulatory call is made by the potential advisor.

Good luck - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Harvard made its calls 2 days ago? Are you sure? I called and the office assistant told me that they hadn't started notifying yet. (That could very well be a ruse to avoid the disappointed questions, though.)

NF

I'm sure that the assistants in this particular department (who are awesome, no doubt) are not allowed to release that information.

I'm sure that the assistants in this particular department (who are awesome, no doubt) are not allowed to release that information.

You're probably right. Oddly enough, when I asked Kathleen Cloutier, she paused before she responded. I remember thinking, for a split second, that she was holding back, lol.

Well, the initial shock has worn off quite a bit. Best of luck d1k (and to all).

NF