Syracuse Maxwell Acceptance rate?

4. How many applications do you receive each year? How many are accepted? We typically receive about 450 - 500 applications each year for the MPA and MA IR programs. The average acceptance rate for both programs is about 50%. We generally recieve 80-100 applications for the PhD and admit 6-8 students annually.

5. What are the minimum or average GPA or GRE score for successful applicants? There are no minimum GPA or GRE requirements for admission. The admissions committees reviews the entire profile of an applicant through a holistic approach. Grades and standardized test scores are taken into consideration in the context of the broader application.

MPA: Average GPA of admitted students: 3.55

Median GRE scores of admitted students: V: 570, Q: 690, A: 4.5

MA IR: Average GPA of admitted students: 3.6.

Median GRE scores of admitted students: V: 530, Q: 660; AW: 4.0.

PhD (PA): Three year average of Average GPA of entering students: 3.78

Three year average of Median GRE scores of entering students: V: 635, Q: 763, A: 4.5

Found info here: http://www.maxwell.s...?id=36507225209

Edited by yo_yo86

Thanks for posting that yo_yo. Pretty high acceptance rate, no?

I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not it would be worth it to cram in a 2-week study session and retake the GRE's to up my chances of admission to Maxwell.

My scores are pretty low (510v, 530q, 3.5) but I have a few years of political and non profit experience (some managerial), great LORs, a strong SOP and a 3.5 undergrad GPA. I've already been accepted to Albany and Pitt with my current stats.

Edited by jfornof

I had pretty similar stats (520v, 530q, 3.5w, and 3.8gpa) and I got in.....however I'm doing the dual MAIR and MS in Public Relations program, so I'm not sure if acceptance stats are different for my program than say the dual MAIR/MPA program......I would give Nell a call in PAIA (Public Administration International Affairs) Department, she's always willing to answer questions and is super nice!

I don't have any better insight than mmclean0260; however, if you're very confident you would do better on the GRE, I would take it. If you don't feel you would, don't bother. Worst case, you get dinged, decide not to go to school this year, then study some more to improve your score, and reapply. Good luck!

MMclean...have you heard of anyone else with similar stats who were accepted to the program? It does seem that more than any other school I've looked at, Syracuse really stresses the point that they are holistic in their approach towards evaluating applicants....which makes me feel a little bit better about my situation. 3+ years of relevant work, interesting study abroad experience, good GPA, good letters of rec.....etc. What have you heard from other students at Maxwell?

It really depends on which program in Maxwell you are applying to.....MPAs tend to have higher scores and flashier profiles. As for the MAIRs, you seem like a great fit, I actually had no 'real' work experience coming in (one internship aboard with State and another at the OAS in DC). As long as you have a polished personal statement and good recs, I don’t see any reason you don’t get into the MAIR program at the very least....you would probably even get funding, I did.

• 3 weeks later...