What do you know about Chicago Div. for PhD?

tt503

Hey everyone,

I really, really like Chicago Div.'s PhD program in Anthropology and and Sociology of Religion (I'm actually quite drooling over the course schedule and reading list). Does anybody hear know more about applying to this program?

I've heard/read some things in the past about the Divinity School (Chicago Div. is notoriously incestuous about taking their own Master's students for the PhD)...I'm just seeing what other people have been told...

I'm the bearer of bad news, but don't shoot the messenger.

Yes, Chicago Div. is incestuous (though I think that varies to a degree by area of interest). I don't think this is as big a deal as it is sometimes made out to be.

But, lack of faculty in ASR at the moment means it is a virtual certainty that no applicants will be accepted to the PhD at all this year. Sorry, but I heard that from the Dean of Students' mouth.

They are actively looking for faculty, and I think ASR is pretty high priority for a hire, but I also know they have left seats vacant for a long time in other areas of focus (e.g. there hasn't been a Byzantinist in history of christianity for years).

But it was indicated that there would be some acceptances the next cycle in ASR. Also, new faculty could possibly diminish the advantage of in-house students.

Best of luck!