Grad school advice- who to talk to?

hawkflame

I'm looking to apply to graduate school for computer science in the next couple of years, but I'm kind of at a loss as to where to go for additional advice. I spoke to my undergraduate academic advisor at my current college (NJIT) but they seemed really geared towards telling me how to prepare for graduate school at NJIT. Which is a fine graduate school, but I really want to get a good idea of what's the best place for me personally and don't want to speak to someone with an agenda.

Can anyone suggest another person or resource for helping me map out my path to grad school?

If you have a good relationship with a faculty member, possibly as their research advisee, talk to him/her about graduate programs. Or, if you do research that's overseen by a current graduate student, ask him/her about programs. You could also try the graduate program at your school to see what kind of advice/info they give about other schools. But that's a shame the undergrad advising won't provide info on other graduate programs.

I suggest connecting with graduate students are your school about their experiences (although, they may be slanted toward NJIT because they are there, lol).

You can also look for resources online and try to connect with others, the gradcafe is a good place :)

And when you find some places that are of interest to you, do not hesitate to contact the department!

Best of luck!