Whats more important, GPA or Experience??

MSW13

For those of you who are in an MSW program or to those of you who are applying, what do you think admissions committees value more, GPA or experience?

I realize that my GPA is on the lower end but my experience is rock solid. Any thoughts??

Thanks!

Generally, experience! At the same time, if you have a lower GPA, I would probably recommend expanding your list of schools you're applying to. I had a weak GPA because of failed classes my senior year of undergrad (long, moderately compelling story that I mentioned in my personal statement). I got into all of what I thought were my "reach" schools and was rejected from two of my safety schools because they calculate last 60 credits GPA and won't look at your application if it's below a cutoff. If you are considered, though, I think experience is absolutely weighed more in social work than GPA!

Generally, experience! At the same time, if you have a lower GPA, I would probably recommend expanding your list of schools you're applying to. I had a weak GPA because of failed classes my senior year of undergrad (long, moderately compelling story that I mentioned in my personal statement). I got into all of what I thought were my "reach" schools and was rejected from two of my safety schools because they calculate last 60 credits GPA and won't look at your application if it's below a cutoff. If you are considered, though, I think experience is absolutely weighed more in social work than GPA!

Thank you for this response! Definitely what I wanted to hear :D However, I am not in a position to leave the city where I live so I am fairly limited in where I can apply. I dont think I can consider any of the 3 universities I've applied to 'safety schools'. All are fairly competitive with good/great reputations for Social Work. I am hoping that they will review my application although I'm *just* under the cutoff minimum GPA. I've been out of school for a while so naturally I've accumulated lots of experience. I'm one of those people who didn't take school as seriously as I should have and matured after graduating....regrets, regrets!! :(

I think in Canada it really depends on the school.

For the non-Advanced Standing streams, I know that Laurier values the two fairly equally, UofT values grades more, and Carleton values experience more. I believe York is more experience oriented and I am not really sure about Windsor or Ryerson..

If nothing else, most schools will accept upgrading. You can go back to undergrad courses and take a few to raise your GPA. They'll be calculated into your final year/two years (depending how each school calculates it).

Thanks for the info! I guess I will just have to wait and see if I get in this year. If not, I'll have to re-evaluate how badly I want this and what I'm prepared to do in order to get it. If all else fails, I can continue to work with my BSW--just 10-15K less a year for the same job!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the same question, but for the opposite reason. Great GPA, almost zero experience :-/

Has anyone gotten in anywhere without much experience? Any guesses on my likelihood of getting in if everything else (letters, essays, grades, GPA) is great but I have no real experience?

I had the same question, but for the opposite reason. Great GPA, almost zero experience :-/

Has anyone gotten in anywhere without much experience? Any guesses on my likelihood of getting in if everything else (letters, essays, grades, GPA) is great but I have no real experience?

I got into Penn with a similar GPA and little relevant experience. I think what made me attractive to Penn was my academic record and the way that I talked about how past experiences, even though they weren't relevant, led me to social work and taught me skills that will be useful in my chosen profession.

Definitely experience. If you have a GPA of a 3.0 or higher, you will be fine as long as you have demonstrated experience in the field. It can be jobs, campus activities, volunteer service, or social research. There are so many ways to get involved, ranging from mentoring youth in Big Brothers Big Sisters to building homes with Habitat for Humanity (just to name a few). The admissions team want to see how well will you fit with social work's dual mission (maximizing human potential and promoting social justice).