School Loses LOR, What do I do?

Corral

One of my recommendation providers had technical issues uploading my LOR to the school's application system. After a long back-and-forth with the school's technical assistance team and the admissions office, the school told the recommendation provider to email them a copy and mail a hard-copy, which she did. This was in September. I emailed the person who was supposed to receive the e-copy and received no response (she never responds). I called the school a few weeks later and they said they received the hard copy. All set, right?

I received an email from the school yesterday saying they never received a hard-copy or email of my LOR. I even called the school to speak with the person with whom I talked in September. She vaguely remembers this issue but was unaware of the LOR being sent. I know this is not true but I am having my recommendation provider, who is just a frustrated as I am, resend the LOR.

My biggest concern is that, since it is now after the school's deadline to be considered for funding, that I will be left out of consideration because the school cannot find the LOR, either the hard-copy or electronic form. Any ideas on making sure I can still be considered for funding? r

You won't be left out of consideration for funding. If they really weren't interested in having the letter, they wouldn't have let you know that it was missing. Have it resent and you'll be fine. I've said this a number of times but I had a recommender send his letter 3 times to the same school because they kept losing it. Finally, he emailed (or faxed, can't quite remember) it directly to the DGS and sent it hard copy to make sure it got there. I was admitted with full funding there. Another school admitted me with funding before they had two of the three letters in (one was late, one got lost and was super late). They actually emailed me to say I'd been admitted, that the dept would fund, but that they needed two more letters (aka, a complete application) to nominate me for a university fellowship. My jaw actually dropped in shock and I laughed out loud.

The point of those stories is to tell you that all is not lost.

I just learned that one of the schools I'm applying to has also lost a LOR. Problem is, the referee is now on sabbatical and I don't know if I'm going to be able to contact him to ask him to resend.

Not sure quite what I'm going to do. I think it was a really good letter!