If you don't get it?

magog

What's everyone going to do if they don't get in anywhere, or get in sans funding (and aren't rich)?

I honestly don't know... Peace Corps? Try again next round? ...probably pull a Leaving Las Vegas.

I got rejected from the phil program I wanted to get into the first time around, so I went to a fall back school for my English MA. I'm applying to doctorate programs in phil and Eng. If I don't get in anywhere, I'll take the year off and focus on my writing, publishing, conferences, and personal stuff. Then try again next year.

This happened to me last year- rejections from all 3 funded programs I applied to. No funding at the one place I did get into, went through a painful process applying for every scholarship I heard off- didn't get any of them.

Took my GREs again, rewrote sops changed one recommender and trying again this year.

If it still doesn't work out then this is not my path- I don't know yet what else could be so am hoping it will work this year.

Best of luck- think positive.

I've been wondering about this too. It's also my second year applying, having gotten nearly all rejections last time. I'm starting to agree with the sentiment of the previous poster: at some point you have to question whether it's the right path. But I have, I think, a better writing sample and statement of purpose (as well as, er, actual purpose) this year, so I'm holding off on those thoughts for now.

Edited by joya

Philosophy Students tend to do quite well in business (even better than the majority of Business majors), if that is something you could handle.

Personally, I would consider teaching in a CEGEP or getting a professional degree; another option would be to abandon the prospect of tenure-track and get a PhD at a less prestigious institution. Figure the rest out later...?

• 1 month later...

There is a position at my current job that just opened up and they are having trouble filling it. It is essentially what I am doing now anyway but with better pay and a little bit more responsibility. So, if I don't end up getting in (or get in but can't get funding) then I will try and get the promotion and use the exra money to re-take the GREs, maybe have a PhD student I know at Riverside to help me tune up my SoPs, and re-apply to a lower-ranked set of PhD programs and more MA programs than I did this round. This is my first time applying.

I agree with Blurry about business - even if you don't have GRE scores/writing that puts you in the 98th or 99th percentile (as it seems a hefty number of Phil applicants do...) you are likely still more intelligent than the average applicant for a lot of business positions, probably a more clear communicator as well so that can put you in good stead for office work. Eric S. at Splintered Mind has said in the past that one really ought to reconsider applying for graduate school in Philosophy if he or she wouldn't be happy teaching at community colleges and scraping by for a long time, if not a very long time. I wish that weren't a possible future for any of us, but that's the way the market is right now.

Edited by UnbearableNausea

• 1 month later...

As it's almost April, and I still only have three wait lists (all for PhD, I already have an M.A.) and a ton of rejections, I've been thinking on this question a bit. If I don't get in to any of the three places, I'm kind of at a loss as to what I'll do for another year as I wait to apply for PhD schools starting in 2013. I'll definitely be reapplying, but if I don't get in after the second round, I think it's time to try something else. The Peace Corps is a fantastic idea, but there are three problems; one is that it's not really a long-term solution - at least, not to begin with; it's two years, but you can extend and then, if you like administrative stuff there are possibilities there. Secondly, I'm already in the Peace Corps, and it is fantastic, but from experience the majority of people that choose it as a plan B don't particularly like it, nor do they usually stay for the full two years. It can be pretty tough, and if it's not something you really want to do, it's probably not a good choice (alot like going to grad school, I suppose). Third, I'm already in the Peace Corps, and don't think that I want to do it again immediately after going back to the states.

So, what to do if I don't get in off one of the wait lists? I think I'll spend it working on my SoP and Writing Sample and retaking the GREs (as they'll have expired by then) while working some job that takes little to no thinking or time. Bartender? And if I don't get in after the second try, I'll probably take my beer making hobby and new found bartending skills and open a brewpub. Where the money for such a thing will come from, I've yet to figure out. Maybe I'll knock off a bank? Yeah, a bank heist sounds like fun.