Any Idea when Ad Coms actually sit down with our files?

coffeecurls1

For my program (Socio-Legal Studies, less than 15 people/cohort, 200-ish eligible apps, Canada), the admissions committee got to sit and read the apps 3 weeks after the deadline. There was no "rolling admits", we just sat with everything at once.

Justification for this time-line: The program had a two-week window after the deadline for incoming, 3rd party documents (transcripts, LORs and test scores). After that, the department secretary took a week to match all of the files with the material, chase individuals with incomplete files and then exclude the incomplete/inadequate apps that had no reasonable, documented, mediating circumstances. The admissions committee had been determined in the early fall, but it wasn't until 3 weeks after the deadline that we sat in a room together with our timelines, guidelines and the massive stacks of paper.

As always, I would stress that this arrangement is specific to my program and isn't necessarily representative of ANY other departmental procedures. Those who DO go the "rolling admits" route, for example, would likely have a process that looks quite different.

I hope that you don't use this info to ruminate to the point of high-stress (i.e. are they looking at it RIGHT NOW?! what about NOW?!)... Don't do that!

It does vary by school and program. You could always check the results section to see when people have historically received news for your anticipated programs. Or, if you're really concerned about a specific program, you could send an email to the program secretary and ask.