Interviews

ewurgler

The best way to work on overcoming this is practice - see if you can do a mock interview with someone, or just chat with you friends/family about your ideas, interests, and questions as much as you can. Even sitting alone and speaking out loud can be very helpful.

In order to obtain my undergraduate degree I had to give a colloquium (oral thesis) and in preparation, speaking my ideas was extremely helpful. Also, creating affirmations, and telling myself that I am a clear and confident speaker was important!

Hope this helps!

The best way to work on overcoming this is practice - see if you can do a mock interview with someone, or just chat with you friends/family about your ideas, interests, and questions as much as you can. Even sitting alone and speaking out loud can be very helpful.

In order to obtain my undergraduate degree I had to give a colloquium (oral thesis) and in preparation, speaking my ideas was extremely helpful. Also, creating affirmations, and telling myself that I am a clear and confident speaker was important!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice!! I too had to present my thesis and that was fine, mainly because I knew my stuff so well. I just get freaked out by the thought of getting caught off guard or quizzing me on stuff related to my research interests.

Was the email from your potential adviser?

I really didn't want to be one of those people who freaks out when someone else hears first, but Indiana is one of my favorites. I'm getting nervous now

No, it was from the director of graduate study. It was personalized in that it had my name at the top, but it seemed like they may want clarification, or perhaps talk about why sociology (because it wasn't my undergrad major). I can paste the actual email in a PM for you...i understand your anxiety :)

Speaking of Indiana freak-outs (though I am in History), I just got a phone call where the Caller ID said "Indiana Call." The person asked for Mr. [my last name], and then after I started to think it was an admit-call, they began asking about the car repairs my dad is getting (and the repair shop is in Illinois, so I have no idea why the call was from IN). Bastards.

So, Indiana emailed to set up a time to talk.

I AM FREAKED OUT!! I get super anxious and sometimes seriously stumble over my sentences.

Any tips from those who have had phone interviews? Advice on what to highlight?

Dear Ewurgler : there is only one tip to these things. And its often easier said than done. But, seriously, Do NOT freak out. Do NOT get anxious. Just pretend its someone you know who wants to talk to you about stuff that you have spent a lot of time writing/reading/doing (i.e., your research). Once you get the fear out of it, you will realize that even if they are, for the instant, in a position of power, you wrote your thesis! you know this stuff better than anyone else. There is NO reason to be scared/anxious/nervous.

Chances are, at this point, they have already done the rounds of figuring out that you are academically suitable. They just want to get a sense of why its important to you : so all you need to do is be calm. and remember that this is just another phone call.

Word of somewhat substantive advice - do research on the person you are speaking with so you feel like you already know him/her. It often makes it easier.

Good luck! :D

My IU interview was just postponed till Monday...I think... Have you had yours yet, ewurgler?

Nope, no word. I've been a wreck all week waiting for it!

Yay! You have one too...I don't think they do it for everyone, so why do you think they want to talk to you? I didn't major in soc and didn't have time in the 500 words to address why it's the discipline for me. Anything like that for you? Maybe its our research interests? Mine are religion and political sociology...you?

Nope, no word. I've been a wreck all week waiting for it!

Yay! You have one too...I don't think they do it for everyone, so why do you think they want to talk to you? I didn't major in soc and didn't have time in the 500 words to address why it's the discipline for me. Anything like that for you? Maybe its our research interests? Mine are religion and political sociology...you?

I would bet it's our different backgrounds; I didn't major in soc either. I felt like my research interests (medical sociology) were pretty clear in my SOP, so I expect they're wondering: why soc?