Digital Humanities

• 5 months later...

Simultaneous bump and reply.

I'm very interested in DH and I'll be attending the University of Alberta. Its English department has some great DH courses and projects going on; one course involves learning XML in addition to the traditional research-and-write components. The prof teaching the course got his PhD at Penn State, so that might also be worth checking out.

Edit: You might also check out the affiliations of the Invited Instructors and Speakers at the 2012 Digital Humanities Summer Institute: http://dhsi.org/bios.php — also filed under SO I WANT TO GO TO THIS. ...Ahem.

Edited by A Proper Pun

• 2 weeks later...

I know UVa has some people who are really interested in DH.

EDIT to add: DH will very likely play a huge role in all of our futures, in one way or another. If you end up at a school where there isn't that much DH activity going on, be responsible for starting it. Then put on your resumé that you started X DH project.

B) <--- professionalization sunglasses

Edited by Stately Plump

I know UVa has some people who are really interested in DH.

EDIT to add: DH will very likely play a huge role in all of our futures, in one way or another. If you end up at a school where there isn't that much DH activity going on, be responsible for starting it. Then put on your resumé that you started X DH project.

B) <--- professionalization sunglasses

From now on I'll imagine Colbert's lenses going all sunglasses-dark when you bust out a pro-tip.

University of Minnesota has a really vibrant, interdisciplinary DH program. Michael Hansher (sp?) is one of the top people in the field, and he runs the program here. I don't know a lot about it, but we get emails about him and the program a lot!

• 7 months later...

I know that, despite the university's shortcomings in other areas, Nebraska's DH program is 100% no-nonsense, and it is the flagship field within the English program. (They tell me that) They are ranked very high. For English-related digital humanities, Matt Jockers and Stephen Ramsay are your guys.

That being said, I don't really care about digital humanities. Just trying to offer what (I think) I know

I know that, despite the university's shortcomings in other areas, Nebraska's DH program is 100% no-nonsense, and it is the flagship field within the English program. (They tell me that) They are ranked very high. For English-related digital humanities, Matt Jockers and Stephen Ramsay are your guys.

That being said, I don't really care about digital humanities. Just trying to offer what (I think) I know

This. Amanda Gailey is also doing some cool DH stuff there. 

Edited by Phil Sparrow

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone!  I was very happy to see that there is a thread here for DH.  I have been thinking of applying to the University of Alberta's Digital Humanities MA because they offer a specialization with their languages and Cultures department, and my field of interest is Spanish literature and culture. 

Now the thing is, I get the impression that not a lot of people who are in the field of languages are in DH (except maybe people who do linguistics).  At the UofA's program it looks like most people are in English, History, Classics, Film, and I just don't know if I will be a good "fit" and my application might get overlooked.  Personally I am not concerned about possibly being an odd one out in a department, I just really want to learn about DH and try to integrate it with Spanish literature.  My idea is to present a project that would look at using technology to teach lit classes in hopes that it would make the content more accessible for students and perhaps more interesting to work with.

Simultaneous bump and reply.

I'm very interested in DH and I'll be attending the University of Alberta. Its English department has some great DH courses and projects going on; one course involves learning XML in addition to the traditional research-and-write components. The prof teaching the course got his PhD at Penn State, so that might also be worth checking out.

Edit: You might also check out the affiliations of the Invited Instructors and Speakers at the 2012 Digital Humanities Summer Institute: http://dhsi.org/bios.php — also filed under SO I WANT TO GO TO THIS. ...Ahem.

I just want to agree with both of these points. The UofA has quite a strong, interdisciplinary DH community. DHSI is also great - I would definitely recommend it. The instructors are great, and it's a good place to network and meet potential supervisors, collaborators, committee members, peers, etc.

Edited by Roquentin

There are people at McGill and some of the UC schools.  Stefan Sinclair (Voyant, TAPoR, Mandala, MONK) is at McGill and there were a lot of projects at UCSB when I visited (they seemed to have corresponding or collaborating projects in other UC programs).