Slavic Studies, anyone?

lslavic12

Is anyone applying for Slavic Languages and Literatures this go around? Seems like there are always few in the pool- but it's be interesting to see who's out there this year. :)

I'm Polish literature- with a healthy side of Russian and an increasing interest in Ukrainian :) Which is your one Russian lit program? I think doing just Russian is more competitive than Polish, Czech, or Ukrainian... but what do I know?! :)

Well, I don't know if you know this very prevalent feature of Russians (and some other Slavs, too)-- we are very superstitious so we don't ever say where exactly we are applying or what exactly we are trying to achieve until after the results are announced, otherwise you are gonna attract a 'bad luck' (and there is a long anthropological explanation of why we act like that, it's complicated :)) But my concentration is anthropological linguistics, so just basically looking at some pieces of Russian literature through the lenses of anthropology and comparative linguistics.

I didn't know that- because everyone in the field always shares that kind of information with me! :)

My grandfather is Polish- and I grew up in a very international-enthusiastic household, plus traveling/studying there and round abouts made it quite appealing!