in person vs phone interview help?

missashley

So I got an email inviting me for an interview. I only applied to three schools, so it is one of my top choices. I was actually able to meet with the dean of my program for a two hour conversation/interview in her office before they even had my application, and she and I got along very well (she asked me a ton of questions and said I was "just like her at my age"). I mentioned this in my SOP in a way...

Now, the email the school sent says "we strongly suggest an in person interview (at the student's expense all the way) but would be happy to arrange a phone interview as well"

a trip up there would cost me 700-850 all in, for a half hour interview. phone call would be free, but i dont want to show i am not committed. Does the fact that I already came out and spent a day get me brownie points, or should i just shell out the cash for a visit? it would also mean time off work, but do they expect that everyone would be so happy just to interview at their school that they would drop everything?

This school has the worst funding and the highest cost of living, so it is kind of my back up/reach school (ie i really dont want loans but i would do it if i had to)

sigh. help please????

ash

I would send the dean an email about it, mention the nice chat you had. Ask her opinion. She probably can make a call noting your meeting and then another in person thing would seem redundant.

I would still stress your interest in the program, and commitment etc.

I personally think it is a lot to ask a student to travel without reimbursement for an interview.

Thank you. I hadn't wanted to bother her - but it seems like a great idea just to drop her a quick note and show my interest. travelling to new york from texas (or from anywhere) can be really pricey. i will practice my "studious yet clever" voice for my phone interview. :)