Should I update POI or Program Director?

Scalia

I asked this question in the results thread on this page but I thought I might ask it again to get some additional opinions/ provide this info for any other applicants that might be wondering the same thing.

Essentially, I received news that I had a couple of proposals get accepted at some conferences (APA and a smaller regional conference). Should I update my POI or program director with this information? I have some experiences at conferences but not anything as legit as APA.

I feel like many candidates would like to "update" their applications based on CV improvements over the last three months. But a deluge of these types of emails to your POI might end up being an collective annoyance. So especially if you already indicated on your application that you submitted to those places, then my inclination is no, do not.

On the other hand, if you've already traded a few emails with your POI then it might be okay because of the previously-established connection. Here, you could lead off with something like, "When we traded emails in the fall I had told you that I submitted posters to X and Y. I just wanted to let you know that they were accepted!"

And practically speaking, especially given that you have some conference experience already, I don't think two more posters will move you into the accept pile if you weren't there already.

Edited by lewin00