Perception of "Schools of Psychology"

Ettenav

I am applying to two School Psychology programs, one of them is a "school of psychology". At some point, my objective will be to apply to a doctoral program; however I am concerned how this program will be perceived by an admission committee. Can anyone give me any insight on these programs?

I'm sorry. Let me rephrase, "schools of professional psychology".

I think you're talking about the so-called 'professional psych' schools....ones where you get a degree that you pay for (i.e., the Chicago School of Professional Psychology)...you can get a masters or doctorate but there is a charge for tuition and you don't get a stipend. The schools are not always accredited (red flag).

If that is what you're talking about, then I'd be very cautious. Traditional doctoral programs look at those programs with some suspicion (may be a certain level of elitism in there but it is what it is....if the school is not accredited, then I'd say there is good reason to look at it with suspicion and would suggest going with another program if you have the option).

yea, be VERY cautious with these schools. Even those that say they are accredited or in the process of being accredited. So many of them are just semi-scams that takes advantage of the bad economy, convince you to take out huge loans, and you end up with a useless degree and a lifetime of debt that you have no way of paying off. It can be very scary if you make a bad decision.