Another Brooks Column

ewurgler

Yeah, this one is pretty bad, and without even the smear of intellectualism that the other column had. That being said, the "Ward Three" hangups he describes (petty professional jealousies, sort of high income with disproportionate spending on private school for the kids, etc.) are exemplified by many of my friends and colleagues in my current line of work and they are as annoying and ridiculous as he makes them sound. Of course I wouldn't use those traits to justify feeling bad for people with even more money, but I'm certainly going to be glad to leave it behind to a degree. I enjoyed being broke and in graduate school more than I've enjoyed working for a generally high income, but feeling like I'm in a rat race I can't easily escape.

Actually, I sort of thought it was a dig at corporate/conservative irresponsibility...

I read it as very passive aggressive toward those who work in government, education, etc--have the education and knowledge to make big bucks but choose not to. I found it incredibly shameless and filled with contempt.

Well, certainly Brooks is a conservative, so that's to be expected. But I did sense some condescension toward the conservatives (or at least the corporates) here. Definitely picked up on the message that whether or not they are making the big bucks, a libs work is at least meaningful (leaving much to be desired regarding the meaning of a CEO's work). The bit about the law school grad who resents a b-school grad...don't we all make fun of b-schools? ;-)

The bit about the law school grad who resents a b-school grad...don't we all make fun of b-schools? ;-)

Yeah, but it really is the conventional wisdom among law students that the average b-school graduate is far less intelligent but often makes more money. Which is especially grating on lawyers because they make a pretty high income too, it's just that b-school grads have lately made a lot more (though we'll see how that works out over the next few years). It's the petty jealousy aspect Brooks describes all too well.

Yeah, but it really is the conventional wisdom among law students that the average b-school graduate is far less intelligent but often makes more money. Which is especially grating on lawyers because they make a pretty high income too, it's just that b-school grads have lately made a lot more (though we'll see how that works out over the next few years). It's the petty jealousy aspect Brooks describes all too well.

Right. I think some grad students make fun of b-schools for the same reasons :D Not to mention the work in most law firms is sooo grueling. My bf did another famous all-nighter last night. Poor guy- I don't envy him at all, not even for his money (although that soon may change). :mrgreen:

Right. I think some grad students make fun of b-schools for the same reasons :D Not to mention the work in most law firms is sooo grueling. My bf did another famous all-nighter last night. Poor guy- I don't envy him at all, not even for his money (although that soon may change). :mrgreen:

Your bf is pretty luck to have the work in this environment; so many law firms are laying off attorneys. That's my day-job right now, so I'll probably be envious of my past self here in a few months. But the work is just inane and challenging only in a physical sense, so I will not miss it.