Chances?

benedicite

I'm interested in my chances for applying to top tier Classics and History PhD/MA programs and curious what anyone might think.

I graduated in May 2011 from a pretty good state school and have been out of school working at a warehouse and probably will for most of 2012.

Bachelor of Arts: History, Classical Languages

GPA: 3.89

GRE: 168v, 148v, 5 writing

4 Semesters of French, 6 semesters of Classical Greek, 8 semesters of Latin

Graduated Summa, Phi Beta Kappa

Outgoing senior award from Classics department, and outstanding humanities senior from college

I'm confident about 3 letters of recommendation from classics profs and a history prof. I have a 25-page writing sample on religion in late Roman North Africa, but it needs some work.

I want to study Late Antiquity/Early Medieval period, particularly religious history.

I feel good about the work that I've done, such as it is. I just wonder how my degree from a state school that's not well known for ancient history will hurt me. I also don't know how taking two years off from school will look. I do know I need to invest some serious time in maintaining/improving my language skills in the mean time.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

I don't know what your GRE scores mean to be honest as I took when it was scored differently, but everything else seems to be in good shape. It really is a crap shoot and based on departmental politics as much as your application, but you seem to be a competitive applicant. Focus on your personal statement and writing sample, and apply to a decent range of schools, and you definitely have a good shot.

History PhD admissions are extremely subjective. Nobody can really give you an idea of your chances other than professors in the departments you're interested in. And you'd need to find those who aren't "nice" but who are willing to be frank with your application.

Just a few quick thoughts, but as TMP said above, no one can tell you exactly what will happen, even though your stats (GPA, honors, etc) are great. Your languages are also quite extensive and should really prepare you quite well.

That being said, the key will be to determine what exactly you want to work on in the early medieval/late antique world and how you want to position yourself. Most importantly, do you see yourself as teaching medieval history (i.e. survey courses going up to 1500) and thus in a history department or teaching more classical world stuff (e.g. languages and/or Roman history) and thus in classics. While late antiquity obviously falls into that classic gap between the two periods, the program you get your PhD will determine how you aim your applications and what you end up teaching in the end. Also, what specifically do you want to work on area wise? Do you want to do stuff with North African religious history (e.g. Donatist) or more broadly on say Arianism in the west?

If you want further thoughts on this and specific ideas on places or people and how they seem to approach, feel free to shoot me a message as well. As I said though, just some initial thoughts.