Plan B- Peace Corps-MA

PhDreams

I'm starting to freak out and worry that I may not get into any of my programs. So, I've started thinking of alternatives....

Has anyone gone the Peace Corps-MA route? Any advice or feedback? It looks like an interesting option.

Well you still have to get accepted into the MA program in order to get credit for Peace Corps. I don't know anyone who has done it, but I know quite a few went straight to grad school right out of the Peace Corps, it worked out well for them.

Agree with Mal83, and the application for Peace Corps is quite long and strenuous, it took me a year to get assigned but the service was probably one of the best times of my life. I just got back last November and applying to graduate schools right now. Highly recommend it!!!!

Well you still have to get accepted into the MA program in order to get credit for Peace Corps. I don't know anyone who has done it, but I know quite a few went straight to grad school right out of the Peace Corps, it worked out well for them.

Well, I know that I would still have to get accepted, but I was wondering how the overall experience was in the program. Just considering my options right now...

Agree with Mal83, and the application for Peace Corps is quite long and strenuous, it took me a year to get assigned but the service was probably one of the best times of my life. I just got back last November and applying to graduate schools right now. Highly recommend it!!!!

The Peace Corps recommends that applications be submitted 9-12 months before anticipated departures. So, that would coincide with my original Fall grad school plans if I applied now. But I don't know anyone who has ever participated in the program... Can you tell me more about your experience??

I think what we're both trying to say is that we didn't do an MA/Peace Corps program, but we both did Peace Corps and that experience for a number of big reasons will be very helpful in getting yourself to grad school afterwards. I really wouldn't advise considering the Peace Corps as just another option along with your other grad school applications or just as a backup, it has to be something you really want to do, it's an entirely different ball game and if you do get accepted into PC and do it because you didn't get in to grad school you probably will not be emotionally prepared to tackle 2 years in a developing country.

There isn't a tremendous amount of MA/Peace Corps programs out there and I'm not sure how much research you did on this but I believe you'll have to take at least a few courses before or after service at the school that hosts the program, so you have to be willing to do that. I'm not sure when the deadlines for these MA/PC programs are, you might have time this cycle for a few, not sure, but it's already mid-January. If you submitted an application to PC right now, you might make it in time for the Fall semester/start of the school year, which would be important if you're going to teach, but there's no gaurantee, your application might take longer, it could take a solid year or longer, especially if there are any health issues or if you are told by a recruiter you need some more experience before they decide to formally place you. But realistically if you've only just begun to scratch the surface on this then I can't see how you could get a solid application and the required references in so quickly. There's a cycle to how they send volunteers to their countries. If you don't get everything completed by the time they send the group of TEFL volunteers to the country PC nominated you for then you might have to wait it out longer until they can place you somewhere to teach. Basically what I'm saying is the PC app process is a balancing act and there are no hard deadlines so it's up to you to kind of plan it out as best you can and go with the flow. If it's something you really want to do then when everything comes together you'll drop everything and go, the addition of the MA program complicates things, but people do it and it must work out for the most part or else no one would do it. If it's something that's really of interest you might want to contact the programs at these school and ask for more information or to put you in touch with a current student/volunteer, but I would still caution against rushing into something like this. It would be a good time to start thinking about this for fall 2013 though...let's say you don't get into any of your programs this cycle.

There are also grad school options after PC like fellowships that will cover some or all of your tution. I almost applied to one but decided it wasn't the right program or where I even wanted to be, but those options like that do exist.

Edited by Mal83

^^ Great advice, thank you! I think I'm going to contact a recruiter this week and get more info on the process. I've always wanted to do PC, but it never seemed like the right time. I figured that if I didn't get in this cycle that it might be a "sign" that I should do it. You've given me a lot to think about...