a Library Science degree for less money at a less prestigious school?

Hey! I am a Brooklyn resident thinking about getting a Library Science degree. I've worked in various libraries for about 3 years now and while I think I eventually want to go back to school for a PhD, in the short term I'd like to continue working in libraries, and I'd have more opportunities with an ML(I)S (hopefully).

I don't want to go into debt for this, and I don't want to leave New York City. I had some good conversations with people at Queens College CUNY and St. John's University- both ALA accredited programs- and with my undergrad GPA and in-state status, I would be able to afford the degree, and continue to work while I went to school.

But these aren't exactly prestigious schools, and I'm wondering if that will make a difference? I've heard that job experience trumps where you got your MLS degree- and I have experience working for several major public institutions.

Any thoughts on either school or on my plan in general?

Thanks!!! B)

• 2 weeks later...

I have an MLIS from FSU, which is in-state and had an all-online program, so I basically did what you are thinking of doing. I would definitely agree that job experience trumps education. I didn't have any library experience before I graduated, and I spent a year looking for a library job after graduating, with no luck. I couldn't even get a job that didn't require the degree.

I don't know anything about those schools, but based on my experience, I'd say that your plan is a solid one.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say your plan is excellent. A prestigious school is a bonus no doubt, but not essential or worth the debt I'd say. Staying in NYC will be great for work experience! Everything I've read suggests school name is none too important in the field.

I had a look at the qualifications of the librarians in my area actually. I noticed a number of them had done the online program through FSU or SJSU (I'm in Canada) even though technically I imagine they could have attended, say, Dalhousie. The only major argument I can think of in the pro-prestige camp is - you will have your degree forever so go for the best you can. But... again, work experience will still be more important I guess.

Edited by littlewing

• 3 weeks later...

I got my degree at a prestigious school, and I think the school named helped the career prospects of those who entered the program without any work experience. However, I entered the program with significant experience at Ivy league university library systems. I truly think it was my earlier work experience which allowed me to have no trouble finding jobs after graduation. And, if this is not the end all and be all of your career, I wouldn't waste money on a more expensive program if there is a decent program (particularly a bricks and mortar one) in your area.

Regarding those librarians with online degrees... keep in mind that many people complete their degree programs as they continue to work, and stay at the same institution after graduation. Having worked in numerous libraries I do have to say - as unpopular as this will be - those with online degrees tend to have a harder time finding NEW jobs, especially if they don't have work experience in the field. That said, of course some do find jobs. But at a time when many new grads, even with experience, and from "good" schools are having a hard time finding jobs, the online degree grads (especially with little experience) will on average have the hardest time finding jobs.

Along the lines of what littlewing said, though - you'll have your degree forever. I like the fact that I have a "name" graduate university to add to my "name" undergraduate college. In many librarian positions, especially in academia, your degrees will be listed in the course catalogue and on the library website. And, right now I am actually switching careers and applying for a second masters degree. I like the fact that I can submit a graduate transcript from a top university... I feel like in many cases the MLIS/MLS doesn't get much respect and so it helps that my grades are being assessed in the context of a known rigorous research university.

And, right now I am actually switching careers and applying for a second masters degree. I like the fact that I can submit a graduate transcript from a top university... I feel like in many cases the MLIS/MLS doesn't get much respect and so it helps that my grades are being assessed in the context of a known rigorous research university.

Hello OTgirl,

What direction are you moving in now? Any reasons to share..?