Remediating poor undergrad?

JFman00

Academic background: 2.7 in political economy with a focus on IR from a top 50 USNWR university. I have not taken the GRE but previous standardized test scores have been very high (2150 SAT, 32 ACT, multiple 5s on APs including BC Calc, 99th percentile ASVAB).

Professional background: Military officer in aviation about a year and a half in. Stationed in NE Florida.

Career goal: Looking to get into foreign affairs in my branch, or separate and pursue something State Dept. related.

I have a couple months of a very light workload, so was thinking I would do something to bolster my chances at admission to a reputable MPA/IR program later in my career (3 years from now at the earliest). Any suggestion on what I should use the time for? I'm thinking something along the lines of retaking some undergrad econ/math/stats or non-degree graduate coursework at a local school? Any ideas at all are welcome.

Edited by JFman00

What about some volunteer work at an international non-profit? Perhaps strengthen other areas of your application other than academics. You can get some incredible experience through volunteering plus make great connections. I'm sure taking some classes wouldn't hurt either.

Thank you for your service.

The further you distance yourself from undergrad, the less weight is given to your GPA. Everything else offered in this thread is excellent advice: the quantitative coursework and doing well on the GRE will at least demonstrate that you'll be capable on an academic level. Weave your work and military experience into a strong SOP that doesn't dwell on your undergrad (old news by that point, anyway).

Thanks for the advice all. So you'd recommend (re)taking some stat/math classes (I'm thinking a rigorous stats class or linear algebra)?

If you don't have any B or higher graded maths classes at undergraduate level then yes, definitely take some. I'm taking a calculus, stats, micro and macro economics online with UC Berkeley and can definitely recommend - just wish i'd had time to complete the classes before submitting applications...all i've been able to do is let schools know i'm taking them.