duke da duke duke- english

I guess I'll volunteer. Hopefully I can be of a little help?

I got into Duke this year, with no publications, mediocre-to-good GRE verbal scores, a mediocre GPA (with great grades in english and comp. lit. classes) as well as with an extremely carefully-written and intellectually energetic personal statement, a chapter of my senior thesis (i applied straight out of undergraduate) and what I can only imagine were stellar recommendations.

I"m pretty shocked, to be honest.

If my acceptance is proof of anything, it's that the big factors for English programs are all qualitative. Seriously. I thought I had a snowball's chance in Hell.

No prob. Also, if you haven't heard back yet I wouldn't fret. I think departments have to be a lot more careful this year to make sure they're only admitting as many people as they can afford to fund, and so they might just be waiting to hear back from the Grad School on how many people that actually is.

Prospective Students' weekend is late February, so you're sure to hear back by then. Good luck!

I've noticed a few rejections from Duke English up on the results board this morning... I haven't gotten mine yet, but how do you access it? Does the email direct you to a random webpage with the decision? I've been checking the online application for a message or whatever, but it just says application submitted etc like it has for the last few months. Am I looking in the wrong place?

I've noticed a few rejections from Duke English up on the results board this morning... I haven't gotten mine yet, but how do you access it? Does the email direct you to a random webpage with the decision? I've been checking the online application for a message or whatever, but it just says application submitted etc like it has for the last few months. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Katanian, the fact that you haven't heard yet might be a good sign. I got an email from their admissions office this morning that contained a link back to my online app, where they posted a (sigh) rejection letter. Maybe you're on a waiting list.

sorry to hear that... yeah I'll just keep waiting then, I guess! I got my first rejection in the mail yesterday..

I keep reminding myself about all of the problems in the world, and how in the grand scheme of things this doesn't matter.. it just kind of smarts right now..

It does and doesn't matter. After all, if grad school is, for you, the means through which your contribution to the world can be most successfully achieved -- and is therefore your way of 'relieving' or interpreting those world problems -- then of course it matters.

I never believed in not-worry or not stressing about my life for the sake of everything going on around me. Of course its important to keep perspective. But at some point, its okay to be a little selfish -- grad school means a lot to you, and to all of us, and everything we're all feeling about it right now is completely legitimate. =)

It does and doesn't matter. After all, if grad school is, for you, the means through which your contribution to the world can be most successfully achieved -- and is therefore your way of 'relieving' or interpreting those world problems -- then of course it matters.

I never believed in not-worry or not stressing about my life for the sake of everything going on around me. Of course its important to keep perspective. But at some point, its okay to be a little selfish -- grad school means a lot to you, and to all of us, and everything we're all feeling about it right now is completely legitimate. =)

thanks, kfed.. i needed to hear that..

I got into Duke this year, with no publications, mediocre-to-good GRE verbal scores, a mediocre GPA (with great grades in english and comp. lit. classes) as well as with an extremely carefully-written and intellectually energetic personal statement, a chapter of my senior thesis (i applied straight out of undergraduate) and what I can only imagine were stellar recommendations.

Congrats kfed2020! You and I sound fairly similar. The only exception is that I'm finishing my MA and that Duke didn't accept me.

Good luck everyone!

no news today.. anyone out there that still hasn't received a rejection?

I haven't heard anything either way yet, either. I'm freaking out. If potential students' weekend is in less than 2 weeks like some of you have said, I feel like I'd have to know by now--yet I'm not in the wave of rejections. I hope that means I'm on a waiting list..

=( I hope you are, too. You all seem like such wonderful people, and I think, as I'm probably going to choose Duke no matter what I hear from other schools, that this will really make the experience all the much better. For all of us.

Best of luck to you all.

• 3 weeks later...

So I still haven't heard anything from the Duke English Ph.D. program. I haven't received any emails, and when I log into the application site I don't have any links or new messages. I'm scared to email them, in case they say something like "oh crap we forgot to reject you three odd weeks ago." Is there anyone out there in a similar situation? is it something like an unofficial waitlist (*fingers crossed*)?

It has been a couple weeks since others heard, so it's more than appropriate to call. I try to avoid e-mailing the departments because they only get back to me 50%. If you call the main department graduate number and get through to a person, you usually get an answer in a minute or two.

I think a lot of us are counting on something to happen with our wait lists this year, so I hope you're on it and you get in. Good luck!