PSU

potentpotables

This topic is similar to the one about Purdue, but for PSU.

I only saw several updates for PSU chemistry in the results section and wondered why no one really talks about it even though it is near the top 20. For those that are familiar with the department, how is it over there? I will find out myself in March, but I'm dying of curiosity. :wacko: Anyone feeling the same way with their schools?

Yes. For the past year I've been a little obsessed with UC Davis. It's also not in the top 20 but I identified research interests very well with a few professors, especially one in particular who is currently my favorite across all schools. I also think I would really like the climate and city, even though it's not coastal and is a pretty small college town (but still very close to the state capital and not a long train/car ride from another major city).

The fact that there's a whole wiki devoted to the small town including stuff to do/history also gives the impression that the students and residents there are generally very happy and proud of the place. I don't know of anyone else this app cycle who has applied though, except one random result in the database.

I fortunately did get accepted to Davis! But also to a much higher ranked school offering a stipend/fellowship deal that is a little larger (together with a lower cost of living). Most would probably go for the higher one (much more commonly talked about here) but I've found myself still leaning toward Davis... (not to mention any of the other schools on my list). I told myself to just not stress, to enjoy the visits and get a better feel for them before I make any decision.

The fact that there's a whole wiki devoted to the small town including stuff to do/history also gives the impression that the students and residents there are generally very happy and proud of the place. I don't know of anyone else this app cycle who has applied though, except one random result in the database.

I've been using Google maps to get street views and also wiki. I don't want to develop a biased expectation before getting there, but yes it's been like some sort of obsession since the time I took the GREs.

I fortunately did get accepted to Davis! But also to a much higher ranked school offering a stipend/fellowship deal that is a little larger (together with a lower cost of living). Most would probably go for the higher one (much more commonly talked about here) but I've found myself still leaning toward Davis... (not to mention any of the other schools on my list). I told myself to just not stress, to enjoy the visits and get a better feel for them before I make any decision.

Congrats nechalo! :) I didn't apply to Davis, but seems like we're in a similar situation. Good luck on your travels.