Transcripts from Studying Abroad

annieca

I will be applying to grad school having been to three colleges - one is a community college I took classes at during high school and for some gen eds during the summer, another my main college and the third the university where I am studying abroad.

I know I will need to send transcripts from both the community college and my alma mater but my question is about the study abroad school. The program is an exchange so I am still "registered" at my alma mater and they'll go on my transcripts, but the classes will be from University of Aberystwyth and not Carroll University.

So... my question is: when applying for grad schools, do I need to get separate transcripts for the study abroad school?

Thanks!

Usually you won't have to, assuming that your study abroad credits have been put onto your home university's transcript (showing that they have verified the results). However, if it is not clear from the website/application info from the graduate schools you are applying to then get in touch with the admissions departments at those schools who will be able to tell you their policy.

I only had one university--Ohio State--who still wanted my study abroad transcript, even though it had already been verified by my home university. I thought it was ridiculous that they didn't trust my undergraduate university, which is a top-20 public university, but...you have to give them what they want.

You'll probably want to ask each school. I took a single study abroad course, and I received credit for it which was noted on my transcript at my home university. However, the grade was not recorded, so some schools wanted a transcript. For most schools a photocopy was fine or they said they would want to see my official copy when I got there if I chose to attend.

• 2 weeks later...

My study abroad courses (with grades) are on my undergrad transcript, and no one's asked for an additional one so far--which is good, since because of how the program is run through my alma mater, I don't think I could get a transcript from uni abroad.

If your grades aren't on your undergrad transcript, you almost definitely have to send one. Otherwise, you're probably fine unless explicitly told otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, my study abroad was on my transcript, but they came in as "Pass" with no effect on my GPA. All of my apps also asked for a transcript from every school so I just went ahead and requested the transcripts, just in case the grad schools wanted to know my exact grade from Cork. So I would keep that in mind, whether or not your grades are transferred in as Pass/Fail or letter.