UC Berkeley EECS Fall 2012 admissions thread!

zep

Post your UC Berkeley EECS updates here!

I'll go first...

A Berkeley CS professor contacted me a couple of weeks ago to request a phone interview. The professor was one of the potential advisors whom I listed on my SoP. The interview went well--the professor just asked me some questions about my research, I asked him some questions about his research, and we brainstormed about potential research projects.

My profile:

I'm in the final semester of my CS undergrad at UIUC.

5 conference papers; 2 journal papers in review; 1 conference paper in review.

Several national awards for my research, including a Best Paper Award.

Three strong recommendations from faculty with whom I've conducted research.

Five research internships in national labs and industry research labs.

How can you have such publications as an undergrad? How old are you?

I'm 21. I've gotten fairly good at finding ways to choose class projects and internship projects that are publishable. I met my primary research advisor when he was teaching one of my classes, and he's pushed me really hard (which I like) to continue to make research contributions. I read a lot of scientific papers, which has helped me to understand the landscape of various research areas. I also enjoy writing. So, in short, it's a mixture of passion, hard work, and being fortunate to have found good mentors/advisors. :)

@zep Congrats on your profile, the admission to Urbana and the interview from Berkeley.

I was contacted by a Berkeley Professor to discuss my research experience, interests and specific professors I'd like to work with. I did not list the interviewer as a potential advisor, so we did not discuss a whole lot about his research (not sure if this was good or bad). Otherwise, I'm still waiting for official admit/reject news.

@zep Congrats on your profile, the admission to Urbana and the interview from Berkeley.

Thanks!

It's really hard to have five conference being first author at 21... XD We have the next Alan Turing!

Congrats

Thanks!

wow! 5 1st-author conference papers? what area are you in? btw, just curious what happened to gre math portion? 157 seems quite weird since u have such great academia achievements...

I guess this illustrates that GRE scores aren't necessarily correlated with success in computer science research. I like to dig into hard problems and to work on them for days at a time. I don't have a whole lot of practice, interest, or experience in answering rapid-fire math problems.

Looks like the first set of decisions are out... ?

@ zep anacorn noneplly : did you hear from UCB..

Unfortunately, still no news. But it's okay , I nearly have already make decision since I prefer to accept another top10 school's offer. The research there is more interesting to me.

Looks like the first set of decisions are out... ?

@ zep anacorn noneplly : did you hear from UCB..

No, I haven't heard anything yet.

Just received my admit email. Hope you guys do/did too.

Received an admit email.

@anacron : Congrats

Congratulations!!! I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm still hopeful. :)

What're your stats/profiles?

Received an admit email.

@anacron : Congrats

Thanks, congrats to you too. If I may ask - what are your research interests?

Congratulations!!! I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm still hopeful. :)

What're your stats/profiles?

Thank you!

Cumulative GPA: 3.851

GRE: {Q, V, W} = {167, 159, 4.0}

Publications: 1 Journal Publication

Letters: 2 well known Professors (strong) and 1 Post-Doc (strong)

Reseach Experience: REU at UIUC (worked on 2 projects) and 2 years of research at undergrad.

Teaching Experience: TA for a CS course and TA for an EE course.

I believe research fit was the main factor. There were about 5-8 people at Berkeley who could be my advisor.

I also think my research interests came across during the interview, especially when talking about my research ideas.

those of us who still have not heard from Berkeley(EECS) is it good or bad for us??

bad unfortunately.

I had an interview in early jan, but no admission email today. Assuming that means rejected. Looking at old patterns, reject emails might not come until march though.