Johnson City, TN

H20gal

Does anyone have any information on living in/around Johnson City, TN for grad school? Specifically, East Tennessee State University. I have heard some pretty decent things, just looking for more. Quality of life, culture, costs, atmosphere, etc.

• 1 month later...

flowerskb, I know it's been a while since you posted this - so hopefully you've been able to find some answers. I am also applying to East Tennessee State University. :) My parents are about 30 minutes away and my sister about 15 (she also attends ETSU). I think it's a great little area. I can't really think of anything that you would need that you cannot find either right there or within 30-45 minutes. In the immediate area you have Kingsport, Bristol, Asheville, Knoxville.

What I love is that it still has a bit of a "small town" feel - but - with everything you need. It's a growing, up and coming area and I anticipate we will be seeing some amazing things coming out of ETSU/Johnson City.

Cost of living is still very affordable - though the sales tax is a bit high because there is no state tax. Access to three airports with a short drive. And you just cannot beat the mountains. :)

If you have any other questions or would like to chat more, please feel free to send me a message.

Where would you be relocating from? Some times that helps when I understand where you're coming from.

Thanks for the response! I am from a pretty rural area in the Midwest, so the "small town feel" is some of what appealed to me about the area. I talked to a high school classmate who is attending ETSU for grad school now, and she had very similar things to say. It seems like everyone familiar with the area really enjoys living there, which is reassuring to hear. I will certainly let you know if I have any more questions, I appreciate the help!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I am really really late to this thread, but if you still need any advice I grew up there (still have numerous close friends living/working/studying there) and would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thank you! I am actually headed down there in two weeks to check out the area. It's looking like that's where I am going to end up, and I am so excited about it. Which areas would you suggest looking for apartments? Are there any areas that are pretty walkable? I do have a car, but would like to be able to walk from place to place a bit too.

When I was living there, I was living with my parents, so unfortunately I don't know a whole lot about apartments. It's a really small area, so crime isn't a huge issue, but you can kind of judge from appearance what places are going to be..less fun to live in. The city (and surrounding areas) itself isn't really a walking city. A car is pretty necessary, and a large part of the student population is made up of commuters. I can say that housing and cost of living is pretty cheap there (I've never lived anywhere cheaper). If you think of anything else I can ask, feel free to post here or PM me :)

• 1 year later...