Hunter MSW fall 2012

Emellen980

Hey ya'll! I was just accepted into Hunter today! My interview was only last Friday (March 9th), they got back fast!

Now I have a problem. I also got into Columbia and I did put a deposit down because they deadline was March 1st and I didn't hear about my Hunter Interview until late February so I had to just incase... now I don't know what to do! Both programs are amazing and quite similar...any thoughts? I love Hunter and the fact that it is so inexpensive is a HUGE plus since my undergrad put me in a lot of debt. Thanks guys!

Good luck and congrats to those accepted!

Hello everyone...

Is there anyone on this thread, or reading it, that didn't submit their application until the 2/5 deadline? I haven't heard anything from them and my application status just says "Submitted" and I am starting to get very nervous! Their supplemental deadline wasn't even until April, but it seems like everyone on this board has heard something one way or another- or even gotten in already!

Is anyone else in the same boat as me???

Thanks!

i submitted everything by the end of january and my status never changed until i was accepted.. i guess some applicants 'status changed before interview and even when final review is happening, but mine just said completed.. so i wouldn't be too concerned about that. you can call to make sure they have everything if you want, but i'm sure it's fine!

Thanks so much for your response. I haven't heard anything at all about an interview and it has been almost two months, so I am discouraged. My only hope is that they got slammed at the deadline- anyone else in my boat?

Hey ehb52689,

I too have heard nothing from Hunter and am admittedly losing my mind! I submitted my application 1/16/12 and it was completed on 1/24/12. I am ordinarily a very optimistic person; however, I am quickly turning into a pessimist. I feel like I'm waiting for a rejection letter...That said, why would they wait so long to notify me?

<sigh>

I truly wish you the best of luck and will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Keep me posted on your status and in the meantime, try to enjoy this beautiful weather we're having. B)

I also applied a few days before the deadline with all supporting documentation intact and have heard nothing at all. No invitation to interview which has me discouraged as well. I have been admitted to NYU and Smith and if money were not an issue, I would just rejoice and make a hard choice between these two. But as it is for the rest of you I would guess, money is an issue making Hunter quite desirable. NYU only gives accepted students 2 weeks to make a deposit and secure their place so I need to get a straight answer out of the other schools I've applied to before then if possible. Does anyone know whether interviews are always a precursor to acceptance at Hunter? Anyone else in the same boat I am in?

I also applied at deadline (Feb. 5) and have heard nothing back to date. The silence is killing me. the application status hasn't changed. and no email inviting me to interview. I called the SSW and inquired if there was a decision date and i was told that students can hear back as late as may

At last I received an email on Friday the 23rd inviting me to a group interview at Hunter which I have scheduled next week. Though it's not a guarantee of acceptance, it feels reassuring to have made it to the final round!! Doing what I can to prepare now. In the meantime, have to make the tough choice about whether or not to put down deposits at NYU and Smith to leave those doors open since they want my answer before I will hear back about the Hunter interview. Anyone in a similar position? I wonder about trying to get schools to budge on their deposit/acceptance deadlines?

At last I received an email on Friday the 23rd inviting me to a group interview at Hunter which I have scheduled next week. Though it's not a guarantee of acceptance, it feels reassuring to have made it to the final round!! Doing what I can to prepare now. In the meantime, have to make the tough choice about whether or not to put down deposits at NYU and Smith to leave those doors open since they want my answer before I will hear back about the Hunter interview. Anyone in a similar position? I wonder about trying to get schools to budge on their deposit/acceptance deadlines?

If you can foot the $200-300 bill, I would put a deposit down on either NYU or Smith. Make your choice between at least those two, so you can have an easier decision in the event you do not get into Hunter.

I did try and get Hunter to budge on the deposit deadline, and ended up not only being told (rudely) no, but missing the deadline and having to beg them to accept my payment x) My suggestion? Just pay up! Not worth the risk of not getting into Hunter and being left in the cold :)

I suggest calling NYU and Smith to see if they'll give you a couple of extra weeks to put your deposit down. I was in a similar position - my NYU deposit was due a couple of days after my Hunter interview. NYU granted me 2 additional weeks to put my deposit down. Also, during the interview, Hunter will say that it may take up to 4 weeks for you to hear a decision. I heard back 2 days later, so don't think that you'll have to wait another month!

I applied to Hunter College for an MSW, fall 2012. My online status says "pending program decision". I've noticed lots of people talking about "pending interviews" on theirs. Is this a bad sign? No interview means no acceptance? My application was submitted on 1/31 and completed on 2/15.

Any advice?

Hi Everyone!!

I'm so glad I found this forum. I actually just got an e-mail today for the interview. I am out of state and hoping that I will be able to make arrangements for a skype interview. I know that everyone else's interview has been a group discussion, but did any of you do a skype interview? if so, any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Requesting a Skype interview is totally fine. I had a Skype interview because I was abroad. I was accepted last week and am submitting my deposit this week!

Hi!

I will be making arrangements for a skype interview because i'm out of state. I was wondering if you had any advice?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hello Everyone,

I have a question for all of the Hunter applicants from out of state: has anyone arranged to have their interview done over Skype? I was invited to interview, but tickets from my city (in Texas) to NY cannot be found for cheaper than $500. I emailed them back and asked them about a Skype interview, but haven't heard back. I hope it's not bad form to ask for this kind of special arrangement. :unsure: Any thoughts?

Hi!

I just heard back from Hunter for an interview. I'm also out of state, in California. I emailed them back requesting an arrangement for a skype interview. I was wondering if you could share your experience? I'm very nervous and don't know what to expect. I've gotten some ideas from other postings, but i'm imaginaning that the skype interview will be a little different, since it will be one on one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats on everyone who got interviews, and good luck to those waiting :)

For those of you who were already accepted, and sent in your place holder deposit and paperwork:

When are you planning on figuring out your finances with the school? I am afraid to do it too early because then wouldn't I have to pay interest starting now on the loans? Also, their hours for the financial aid and bursar office are 9-5, and it's really challenging for people who work. I'm hoping to go there when I have a vacation at the end of April, does anyone think this is too late, or too early?

Thanks!

I had my interview a little more than a month ago and still haven't heard back. However, online it says my application is being reviewed. Is this a good or bad sign? I'm a little worried because I feel in general that people have received acceptances within a week of their interview. Maybe it's different because i applied Advanced Standing? Guess I'll just have to wait and see...