Preparing for Phone Interviews

stilnovista

Hey everyone! I was contacted via email last week to set up an interview with one of my schools. I won't be able to make it there in person because of geographical distance and my work schedule, especially because the interview is slated to be just a half hour to forty minutes. Instead, they were willing to allow me to do a Skype/phone interview.

I've done my fair share of phone interviews for jobs and even for one other graduate program (abroad), but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight or advice as to what in particular a program might want to know after reviewing my materials, regardless of the method of interview. They already know a good deal about me from my application, so what might they like me to expound upon? If it helps at all, this is a program with a very particular focus (material culture), and I think I'm very well suited as a candidate to their approaches and mission.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's recently gone through the process of an admissions interview. Thanks in advance!

They will probably ask you questions about your writing sample, SOP and research interests.

I'd also recommend reading the graduate student handbook if it's posted on their website. I was able to come up with some good questions about the program based on that.

Edit- Also, don't be nervous! Breathe. I read online that it's apparently better to stand up vs. sitting down for a phone interview because it helps you project your voice better and sound more authoritative, but when I stand I tend to pace so I opted not to do that. Also have a pen and paper handy for any information they might throw at you (names of other faculty members that fit well with your research, dates, numbers...)

Good luck!

Edited by once