Notre Dame

sociology27

I was invited to Notre Dame's interviews last year. From what I recall, they brought in about 20 students and accepted about 10-12. I remember the DGS telling me that they had a particularly high rate of acceptances last year, so they may be shooting for small cohort this cycle. Maybe not though. You do 3-4 interviews, one with someone on the adcom and the rest with POI's. I would be prepared-- I remember getting grilled pretty intensely last year by one of my interviewers. Good luck!

I was invited to Notre Dame's interviews last year. From what I recall, they brought in about 20 students and accepted about 10-12. I remember the DGS telling me that they had a particularly high rate of acceptances last year, so they may be shooting for small cohort this cycle. Maybe not though. You do 3-4 interviews, one with someone on the adcom and the rest with POI's. I would be prepared-- I remember getting grilled pretty intensely last year by one of my interviewers. Good luck!

"Grilled" in what sense?

Why a Ph.D, why now, what the specifics of my research interests would look like, how I would go about defining independent/dependent variables, etc. I think a lot of people on this forum could probably handle those questions but as an undergraduate senior, I don't think I was as prepared.

Why a Ph.D, why now, what the specifics of my research interests would look like, how I would go about defining independent/dependent variables, etc. I think a lot of people on this forum could probably handle those questions but as an undergraduate senior, I don't think I was as prepared.

Where all did you get accepted and where did you ultimately choose?

I'm not trying to put too much information on the forum (feel free to PM me) but in a brief anecdote: rejected across the board last year (waitlisted then rejected at ND), was able to land a great position where I gained quality research experience, news recs, and the opportunity to write a brand new writing sample from an active data set, and expended all energy imaginable and retook the GRE's and raised my GRE score by almost 200 points. I figured if there were ever an opportunity to land top 20 this was the cycle to do it. I've sent out applications for Fall 2012 and although still pretty early, am already faring much better this time around.

Anybody know the whole dress code for this affair? I don't know how stupid I sound asking this, but should I bring a suit or will a decent pair of pants and button down shirt do the trick? I guess I could email the coordinator of the whole thing... but I'd rather not.

• 2 weeks later...

Got back from my visit. I'm so glad they flew us out there. The people in the department are awesome; the faculty and graduate students are great people to be around. Plus, they really take care of their students. I know there isn't anyone else in this cycle on here that applied there but for future generations that search this post - it's an awesome program. It really surprised me.