Straight through or "life experience"

leapfrog

69 members have voted

1. 1. When did you finish your undergrad?

I've seen a lot of people seem to encourage students to take a gap between their undergraduate degree and grad school, but at the same time it seems that many people go straight through without a problem! Thought it would be interesting to see what range we have here.

I have been reading this forum since the beginning of the app process, and decided it was time to get stuck in. I graduated a few years ago, and have been out in the world of work since then - with varying degrees of success! I tried to tie in my experiences with how it would be useful for grad school, but I think the main thing is just that I have a clearer idea of what I want to do with my life in general now.

Do you think taking a break is important? Unnecessary? Overrated?! Would be great to hear your thoughts/experiences on the issue.

Edited by leapfrog

You need the option of "life experience before undergrad" in this poll. ;) I was always told to take a gap year, even from profs who knew my past experience. When I told one that I really didn't want to because I might not return she said "good, thats what it is supposed to do, weed out only serious students." When I explained that it would be hard for me to convince my family I should give up a good paying job after all these years of hardship to pay for my undergad she responded with "in your case, I don't advise a gap year." Go figure!

I was a "non-traditional" undergrad—I began college 8 years after high school—and graduated last May. So far in the process, my "life experience" seems to be working in my favor, along with the fact that I recently graduated with a degree in my prospective field. However, I've yet to receive any official decisions, so we'll see!

I was a non-traditional UG too. I started in community college - did that for four years on a PT basis, then moved to a 4-yr for my Junior and Senior years. But during my years in CC I worked full time and gained "life experience" - if that's what you want to call it LOL. Plus I only began community college when I was 24...

I went straight on from undergrad to graduate school, but out of my cohort (of 17), there were only three of us who took that option. Everyone else had taken between 1-7 years between UG/G to work/save up money, get field experience or do other forms of research, go into service oppotunities (Americorps or Peacecorps), or to start a family. We even had a couple who had gone into different careers and then found their way into anthro more than 5 years after graduating.

I'm currently on a break, and will go back for my PhD in the fall after getting my MA last spring. Taking a break between undergrad and grad school wasn't feasible for me; I was still highly motivated to continue with school and thought that my application to graduate programs was strong, and so I went straight in. Taking a break when I have feels more natural, which is the advice I can give; if you feel like you're starting to burn out after finishing your bachelor's degree, then maybe it's time for a short break. Same thing between an MA/PhD if that's the way your schooling takes you. You don't necessarily need "life experience" to get into a graduate program so long as you have other factors going for you; strong GRE scores, a high GPA (especially in your major), good recommendations and a solid research project.

• 4 weeks later...

I was an non-traditional college student as well. I did a year at a community college right out of high school before taking a year "off," before quickly finishing up and transferring. While I would have loved to go straight into grad school after my bachelors I just wasn't in a position to present a strong application packet. In effect I've taken two breaks. However, if there's one thing I've learned about school is it's not a race. I was even eligible to graduate after my junior year, but decided I owed myself that last year.

Neither path will automatically present an advantage to you; it's how you spend that time. It's also a lot of circumstance; I know a lot of people who are very well suited for grad school and had publications under the belt as undergrads, but aren't going to grad school right away.

The post above me lays it out perfectly. Nobody can really make that call other than you. If you're feeling burnt out go ahead and take that time. Get some field experience, take some CC classes, work a bit, whatever. In the time I've taken I've returned to the CC I transferred from as an employee, devoured every book I didn't have time to read while in school or is relevant to my upcoming studes, and volunteered at digs with the National Forestry Service.

Some schools will ask what you've been up to if the last time you were enrolled in a school is greater than six months.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with aforman1 that you should take a break when it feels natural. The correlate of that is not to feel pressured to hurry into grad school. Especially PhD programs are a LONG slog (the most apt metaphor I've heard is a marathon), and you will not be as successful or happy if you are burned out. I was a traditional undergrad, and did two years off (AmeriCorps and nonprofit work), and I'm so glad I did. I wouldn't even have known what subfield to apply for if I'd tried to go straight out of college. My work experience has been very helpful for my personal development and perspective.

Big fan of the gap year, myself. It definitely helped me gain some perspective, really THINK about and refine your goals and the best way to go about achieving them, and prepare (reading the literature corresponding to your fields of interest, get to know who's out there doing the kind of work you hope to do, psychologically brace yourself, etc.) for the commitment you will be making. I know it's different for everyone, but I think the year I am currently taking off (between Master's and doctoral studies) to teach at a state university even made me more competetive. Good luck!