Here comes Buffalo!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. My bff partner friend boyfriend just got into the philosophy PhD program but we're unsure about funding. I might have more of a reason to go now if I am accepted to the MA. They were supposed to get back by "the end of February" pfffft. Anyone heard anything more about that?

Hi. My bff partner friend boyfriend just got into the philosophy PhD program but we're unsure about funding. I might have more of a reason to go now if I am accepted to the MA. They were supposed to get back by "the end of February" pfffft. Anyone heard anything more about that?

Congrats for your partner! I had a class with a couple philosophy PhD people--they were not only terrifyingly intelligent, but super nice!

Unfortunately, by and large, UB is a school seriously strapped for cash. Funding tends to vary from department to department, and even from student to student in the department. I'm also fairly certain that the English MA is unfunded, unless you score some sort of fellowship or outside support. It might be worth hearing out what they have to offer him though. Gentle harassment via email always got me answers at UB--maybe send them a quick one about the situation.

Thanks! Yes, most of them are terrifyingly intelligent.

I know that there won't be any funding, but I'm still going to consider a hypothetical admission if partner is fully funded and I receive no other offers. In that case, the only thing that will keep me away from the program is an adversarial relationship between the MA and PhD students. I know that's a very real possibility for unfunded MAs.

Edited by Julianne Pigoon

Thanks! Yes, most of them are terrifyingly intelligent.

I know that there won't be any funding, but I'm still going to consider a hypothetical admission if partner is fully funded and I receive no other offers. In that case, the only thing that will keep me away from the program is an adversarial relationship between the MA and PhD students. I know that's a very real possibility for unfunded MAs.

I only took one grad class, so I can't say with certainty that MA and PhD students at UB are cordial with each other, but that was my experience. Also, I was but a lowly recent college grad thrown into the throes of an upper grad level theory course, and everyone was very friendly and very helpful to me even! I'm not much of a fan of UB as a whole, but I absolutely LOVE the English department. I can't say enough good things about it. And Buffalo is a cheap place to live-- not that that helps with no funding, but it's definitely better than looking at little cash in NY or Chicago.

Edited by Fiona Thunderpaws

Oh, Buffalo is the best place for me to be looking for housing because I'm partial to both 19th century homes and low prices. I've clicked on every three bedroom on Craiglist.

If I get in I plan to email the current MA students to see what they have to say. I've heard great things about the English department, too, and I imagine in the long run I'd be happy with even an unfunded MA. Thanks so much for your encouragement.

OH SHIT GIRL

Baha. Hi.

Julianne-- congrats, that's super exciting! For you and anyone else considering UB, feel free to PM with any questions about the area itself. I've got 22+ years of experience at this point, and I'd be happy to help anyone out!

Thanks! I will do that!