Quick App Specific Question--Please Advise!

purplepepper

Hi all, quick question

As I've said elsewhere, I had an MIA recommender earlier this year. I asked another professor to write a recommendation (thus completing my applications) in the MIA recommender's place, but still left the MIA recommender's name on my application just in case he decided to send it in.

Just got an email from a graduate secretary informing me that MIA recommender's letter was still missing. I'm not 100% sure I want to purse this missing letter business any further (becuase at this point, I just don't know if this missing letter will be 100% positive as I've reminded him just too many times).

My applications are complete without it. I would like to send a response to the secretary to something of the affect of please consider my application complete as it is. I'll be able to write a tactful email to that extent, but I'm wondering: I worry that it will reflect poorly on me as an applicant--will they think that there is a reason MIA Recommender did not want to write? Will they just know that professors are sometimes like that? Is there a reason that they contacted me, does it behoove me to ask the MIA Recommender one more time?

Is there something that I'm not thinking about that I should include in my email to the graduate secretary? Don't have much time, please advise!

Will they just know that professors are sometimes like that?

I would say that most of the people dealing with admissions have probably dealt with enough of them that they've seen it all, so to speak. If your professor flaked, then there has probably been at least one other professor who has flaked in the last ten or fifteen years, so you won't be the first. I can't imagine why they would doubt you if you're being honest. And if you're comfortable with your application without MIA's recommendation, I wouldn't bother him further.

mims3382:

The same thing happened to me this admissions cycle. I spoke to the admissions staff at all my programs, and they assured me that this is very common and that it would not affect my chances at admission. Some of the schools indicated that having more than the recommended number of LOR writers, however, could negatively affect me. What some of them suggested I do (since the recommender wanted to mail the letters rather than fill them out online) was to write a note explaining that the LOR writer was being unresponsive and requesting that if a letter were to arrive from this individual that it should be disregarded during the application review process.

I found an alternate LOR writer and submitted explanatory notes to my schools. I've already been admitted to several schools. So, that LOR writer did not hurt me at all. I think you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Good luck!

Linden

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I honestly explained what had happened and that my recommender went MIA (didn't say it like that of course!) and Linden- you were definitely right. I quickly got a response back from the secretary saying that yes, these things to happen sometimes and it will have no affect on my application.

Sorry for the panic. thanks again!

For what it's worth, I also had a recommender go MIA this season. One of my programs required 4 LORs, and one of my writers insisted on submitting paper recs rather than online. I asked him months and months ago for the rec, but he never submitted them. I talked with the grad secretary and she just forwarded my application to the review committee without the 4th rec (haven't heard back from them yet). So, it's probably not uncommon.

I would say that most of the people dealing with admissions have probably dealt with enough of them that they've seen it all, so to speak. If your professor flaked, then there has probably been at least one other professor who has flaked in the last ten or fifteen years, so you won't be the first.

One in the last 10-15 years? Admissions staff have to deal with missing recommendations every year, without fail. Unwilling references, fraudulent applicants, you name it. Trust me.