History of Disability

riss287

ha! Well, I'm proven wrong then! And it's interesting. I'm not applying to any of the schools that you are. It's Iowa, OSU, and Delaware for me as far as disability history. I applied to two others for museum studies as kind of a back-up. I looked at Temple and UC Santa Barbara but California would be on the other side of the country for me and Philly is a bit scary... but we'll see. Good luck!

ha! Well, I'm proven wrong then! And it's interesting. I'm not applying to any of the schools that you are. It's Iowa, OSU, and Delaware for me as far as disability history. I applied to two others for museum studies as kind of a back-up. I looked at Temple and UC Santa Barbara but California would be on the other side of the country for me and Philly is a bit scary... but we'll see. Good luck!

But have you been to Santa Barbara? It's pretty convincing a locale. Then again, what am I complaining about - if you had, I'd just have that much more competition. :wink:

That's the truth! Do you think that the newness/smallness (relatively I suppose) of our field is a good thing as far as admissions or a bad thing? I guess what I mean is do you think that it helps that not many people want to study what we do, or does it hurt our chances?

That's the truth! Do you think that the newness/smallness (relatively I suppose) of our field is a good thing as far as admissions or a bad thing? I guess what I mean is do you think that it helps that not many people want to study what we do, or does it hurt our chances?

Well I'm not a History of Disability person myself, so I can't advise you there with much accuracy (I'm early modern Europe - about as traditional as it gets). However, I'd think it would help in that if you identify faculty pursuing this area, I'm guessing that you will not have as much competition for admission as with the more traditional subfields. Certainly I don't think your subfield is well represented on thegradcafe, so to the extent the sample here bears any correlation to the rest of the applicant field, I'd think you're in a good spot.

I've heard a lot of negativity about Philly. But I think people are probably scared about certain areas of Chicago I don't sweat about venturing into, so I imagine I'll be comfortable in Philly.

I've heard a lot of negativity about Philly. But I think people are probably scared about certain areas of Chicago I don't sweat about venturing into, so I imagine I'll be comfortable in Philly.

Sorry - I just have to represent as a native Philadelphian: Philly is great! You just have to take the city with a grain of irony.

• 2 weeks later...

synthla- I also applied to Delaware. I met with several professors who told me that the committee doesn't even begin to review applications until mid-Feb. Even though I applied to a few top notch schools, Delaware is my top choice because I really liked the faculty and general feel of the institution, response from grad students currently studying there, etc.

And I'll second the comment on Philly (born and raised). It's a great city, but like all cities....

My bad. It's hard to keep track on the threads sometimes.

I did see that info about Delaware. Thank you for letting me know! I know a grad student there now and she said that she emailed the head of the history dept. in early March and found out. At least I know I don't have to worry about that school just yet! Good luck!