If anyone wants to feel better about their app.

sparkle456

That's assuming that all the people who didn't want to study for them do poorly. I have a friend that does VERY well on standardized tests without studying, and she knows it gives her an unfair advantage. That may be more rare, but she definitely supports the notion that they don't prove anything because she's much less confident in her overall academic ability. She's bright of course, but not necessarily any more bright than the people who also don't study and do poorly. She's just a good "test-taker."

Of course there are exceptions. I do better than most on standardized tests without studying, but I studied for the GRE quite a bit (and still did mediocre on AW). Do I sometims complain that the AW prompts are inane and boring and ridiculous? Of course. But really, I probably could have worked harder and beat that section, and I admit this to myself.

But the source of my frustration stems from people like this: I work with a guy who took the GRE recently. He scored somewhere around an 850 or so (Verbal and Quantitative combined), and of COURSE it was the test's fault, because standardized tests totally don't prove anything, right? He never took into consideration the possibilities that he (A) didn't prepare enough for it, or (B) is, in fact, a complete moron. (The latter's possibility given some support by the fact that he was semi-proud of beating 13 percent of people on the Quantitative section despite his not taking any math courses in college. It was the first time in my life I witnessed someone bragging about achieving a 13th percentile score on something.)

Of course there are exceptions. I do better than most on standardized tests without studying, but I studied for the GRE quite a bit (and still did mediocre on AW). Do I sometims complain that the AW prompts are inane and boring and ridiculous? Of course. But really, I probably could have worked harder and beat that section, and I admit this to myself.

But the source of my frustration stems from people like this: I work with a guy who took the GRE recently. He scored somewhere around an 850 or so (Verbal and Quantitative combined), and of COURSE it was the test's fault, because standardized tests totally don't prove anything, right? He never took into consideration the possibilities that he (A) didn't prepare enough for it, or (B) is, in fact, a complete moron. (The latter's possibility given some support by the fact that he was semi-proud of beating 13 percent of people on the Quantitative section despite his not taking any math courses in college. It was the first time in my life I witnessed someone bragging about achieving a 13th percentile score on something.)

I can understand that. I certainly don't blame the test. That makes me think of blaming the video game for being flawed b/c one can't pass the level :P Like I mentioned, not trying to be whiny...and I did study a lot. I'm glad it sparked this discussion!

Speaking from personal (disappointing) experience, I have to say that the GRE matters a lot. Probably more than anything else.

I applied last year with a very bad quant score (from what I hear, for top programs anything under a 600 is not going to cut it). My ego was inflated by my undergrad profs who told me not to worry, that my application other than that was solid. I didn't get funded anywhere. Nice and humbling.

I spoke to a prof from Stanford at a conference and she basically said that everyone is initially ranked based on their GREs and if you don't make a certain cut-off, they just don't look at you period. Pretty shocking, considering how much our discipline rails against standardized testing...

So that's the bad news. The good news is that it's a standardized test and you CAN study for it. My recommendation is just take as many practice tests using the actual computer software as possible. Make that your priority and raise your score.

Sorry if that was harsh. I REALLY hope you get in and don't have to spend any more time on that god awful exam! But if you do, know that you're not alone!

Sparkle, if you do end up reapplying and taking the GRE again, take to reading really, really complex stuff and look up the words as you go. This gives you a much better contextual understanding of word usage. Also, though I wouldn't recommend addressing lower-than-average scores in your SOP, perhaps you could ask your LOR writers to address it. I had a friend you did not great as well, but is very able, had a LOR address the scores, and he has gotten into 2 very top programs in his field.

Additionally: I've noticed many of my posts are missing words or have the wrong word--sorry for the sucky grammar and such, I write them quickly and usually fail to read over them. Please forgive me :) (as I wrote this, I caught that I put "fail to read 'other' them." Imagine what my in-class essay tests are like :o )

tryffelgris:

I don't think its "more" important than anything else after one makes the first cut. If you are able to do that (which would need around 1300 total at most top schools) it won't matter much after that. Your writing (SOP + writing sample) and LOR take over from there. I doubt someone who nails GRE and GPA but fails to have solid writing or anyone cheering for them would get far at all.

Thanks Evenstar...it is good to hear this as well. I think you're right and that is a very non-biased/balanced perspective which I really appreciate. So...you're not applying to schools or you're applying to see what happens?? Sounds like you'd be a great candidate!! I'll be way curious to see where we all end up!!

Ah sorry! I realized the way I worded that was confusing, I am definitely applying to grad schools right now, but I only applied to 3 (one sociology program and 2 counseling) but I'm trying to work my way through which I want more buuut I'm trying to wait until I see if I even get in and where before I try deciding. So the 'if I decide to go' should have been worded 'if I get in' maybe to make more sense, hehe. I've just been not trying to get hopes up since I saw someone already got accepted to one of my programs on the results...though at least I haven't been denied yet :D

I agree though, it will be interesting to see where everyone ends up, good luck!! :P

Other than your GRE scores, what could you possibly think is so dreadful about your application? I'm actually pretty annoyed here. :roll:

GRE scores are only one aspect of your app and they know some people just aren't standardized test-takers. It's your job to study, do the best you can, then emphasize your fit and experiences to balance it out.

Edit: Ha! I wrote that before reading that freefallen also mentioned "fit and experience."

Hi, I meant to respond before. I understand and wasn't trying to be whiny. I understand what you mean and sorry if I came off too strong. I had a really bad day yesterday after getting rejected. Thanks for your comment!! I love the forums, they can keep us in check.

Hi, I meant to respond before. I understand and wasn't trying to be whiny. I understand what you mean and sorry if I came off too strong. I had a really bad day yesterday after getting rejected. Thanks for your comment!! I love the forums, they can keep us in check.

It's cool - I'm not normally that bitchy. I've been in a bad mood this week, I guess (nothing to do with apps).