Realistic programs for PhD or MS

Hello,

I have a few general questions. I graduated last May from an American university with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and a concentration in bioengineering.

My current stats are: 3.1 GPA (which I'm aware is rather low), 790 Math GRE, 650 V, 4.5 writing. I didn't have any undergraduate research work, but I did work as a Teaching Assistant my senior year. I'm doing research now at a large international university (ranked within the top 100 in the world). I am also a part-time student here and in my first semester my gpa was 3.3, taking 9 credits of graduate-level work (which can be counted towards a degree, but I'm not "officially" a student yet). I had also taken graduate-level courses as an undergraduate student. I'll be presenting a paper at an international conference along with some other members of my team, hopefully, this coming July.

There are two rather large issues I see that might affect my application. When I graduated, it was my second attempt at getting an undergrad degree. At my first attempt, I performed acceptably, but there were a few side issues and I had to leave. After picking up the pieces, I went to a different university and got my degree. Also within my 3.1 there are a few C's in upper level classes (dynamic systems and vibration analysis, I believe), and one D. The D was in a two-semester senior-level class (I got a B+ in the first semester), and the university policy doesn't allow for re-taking this. I believe I (along with the others in my group) were "ripped off," but I've never been able to get a straight answer.

Asking now because I don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars in application fees for places that I have no realistic shot at getting into. Obviously top 20 schools are out of the question.

Which MS programs in the US or Canada (or even in any English-speaking country) would be a realistic option?

Which PhD programs?

Edited by psknglu

• 3 months later...

Did you end up applying after all?

If not, I hope you eventually do, I think you're better qualified then you think. Most programs have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA (yes, that's right, 3.0!) to get in; I have been told multiple times (and have seen myself) that grades are only a factor of getting in. Have you tried contacting professors at different programs, and hearing what they say?

Presenting a paper and having teaching experience is going to be a big boost to your application as well. Do not underplay that.

Also, a final story regarding the impact of grades in applying to programs:

Example: I had a 3.5-ish GPA in undergrad, a 3.4 GPA in my Master's, years of teaching, and some research. I am starting at a doctoral program with guaranteed funding this August.

Second Example: My brother had a 3.9 GPA in undergrad. He has been rejected by all 12 of his programs.

Good luck!