Evanston, IL

You would be saving more by living in an apartment in Evanston than being in a dorm. It is much more lively to be away from the campus especially under stressful periods of time. And plus Evanston is beautiful. However, i am not sure if you are asking about particular spots, or if you are asking about dorm vs apartment.

Okay, well then it would now depend on if you would be willing to take the train, or if you bike. Also it depends on the price. There is a website many people I know who live in Evanston used. I don't live there but visit since I am too broke to afford any of the places I wanted. It was either those places or somewhere else. Anywho, here is http://www.apartmentpeople.com/neighborhood/evanston Hopefully it will load up and show the prices and and the picture of the place, when it is open for use, lease, etc. Just scroll down and click the picture and it will tell you the information and show where it is located by map. I think this will be more helpful than just telling you where to live in Evanston as each place has its own feeling to it.

I hope this helps and congrats on your acceptance! :) if you need more information, I will try my best! :D

I'm also likely attending NU in the fall, so I'm eager to see what info is offered here. I'm wondering if most grad students live in Evanston, or other nearby neighborhoods and commute? Rogers Park was suggested to me but I've heard mixed messages about safety? Any info you can offer is appreciated.

goldielocks, congrats!

I live in rogers park and it depends on what part of it you want to live in. Where I live it is near the lake and is a family community. What are you looking for?

Edited by bellefast

Thanks bellefast! I'm quite excited. I'd really like to live near Northwestern, so Evanston would be my top choice. It's my hubsand and me, and he'd likely be commuting to downtown Chicago for work. So we're hoping we can find something within walking distance to the El or Metra that isn't ridiculously expensive. And we'd really like to have a two bedroom, so I can have an office. Do you think it would be insane to try to find something like that, in Evanston, for less than $1600/month? I might be dreaming here.

Edited by goldielocks

I grew up in Evanston, so maybe I can give folks a good orientation to the area. It's a beautiful little city, with a bit of a college town feel (lots of students, coffee shops etc), very easy access to Chicago (through the CTA, the Metra, some buses and also NU runs some shuttle buses that I don't know much about but I think are free for students). It's suburban, but still diverse, lots of trees and parks and beaches, and very family friendly. It's relatively walkable, but having a car isn't a major inconvenience the way it can be in some Chicago neighborhoods. One thing to note about Evanston: it was a dry city for a veeeeeeery long time, and although things have relaxed somewhat since the heyday of the Women's Christian Temperance Union, the liquor laws are still pretty strict. The result is that there are like, maaaaybe 3 bars in Evanston? If nightlife is important to you, you may want to consider living in Chicago and commuting in. If you're looking into that, there's some really good information in the Chicago thread. Personally, I love Rogers Park, and I feel safe in most of the parts of it, but everyone has a different comfort level, and the best thing to do is visit and walk around and see how you feel. Living in Evanston is a little more expensive that many neighborhoods in Chicago, but it's not insane. Goldielocks, I think you'll find that 1600$ in a housing budget will go pretty far.

Unlike Chicago, Evanston doesn't have a lot of distinct neighborhoods. The best way to orient yourself to the area is to think in terms of the El, I think. The Purple line runs through Evanston from Linden (the border of Wilmette, the next suburb north of Evanston) south to Howard (the border of Chicago). The Purple line runs til about 1 AM (later on Saturdays). Typically, if you're heading south to the city, you'll change to the Red line at Howard, but during rush hours, the Purple line extends to the downtown Chicago Loop as an express train (very convenient for anyone who works downtown). The main business district in Evanston is located around the Davis stop, where there's a pretty good collection of restaurants, shops, coffee places, a great movie theater etc. There's a little cluster of bars towards the south end of Downtown Evanston (kind of by the Dempster El stop). NU is in the northeastern bit of the city, along the lake shore, with the most convenient train stops for campus being Foster and Noyes (pronounced "noise") but I think the NU student shuttle stops at Davis. There are smaller business strips near the Main street (south of downtown) and Central street (north of downtown) El stations. As a general rule, you're going to be more likely to find apartment buildings east of the train line, while west of the train line is mostly single family homes (some of them modest, and some of them lavish). Apartments in South Evanston (closer to the Main Street or South Boulavard El stations) are more likely to be inexpensive.

The Apartment People, linked up-thread is by bellefast, is a good resource. You can make an appointment with them, and they'll take you around to see places that fit the perameters you set with them. This is paid for by the landlords who list their places, so it costs you nothing! Craigslist is a good way to find apartments, too. Hope that was helpful info!

Thanks bellefast! I'm quite excited. I'd really like to live near Northwestern, so Evanston would be my top choice. It's my hubsand and me, and he'd likely be commuting to downtown Chicago for work. So we're hoping we can find something within walking distance to the El or Metra that isn't ridiculously expensive. And we'd really like to have a two bedroom, so I can have an office. Do you think it would be insane to try to find something like that, in Evanston, for less than $1600/month? I might be dreaming here.

There are plenty of 2BR apartments near the CTA for less than $1600/month; $1200-$1300 is pretty common for decent apartment buildings, too. A lot of these apartments aren't the most Internet-friendly, so it's hard to shop around from out-of-town. It'd be best if you come before summer for a weekend and visit all these locations and sign a lease then and there.

Also looking for neighborhood suggestions. I am totally oblivious to anything related to Evanston and could use some direction :)

Evanston east of Ridge, south of Central, and north of Davis is pretty much walkable to campus. Prices shoot up for living near "downtown" Evanston (i.e., everything near the Davis St. CTA station). There are six main CTA stops that a lot of students live in (all purple line): Main, Dempster, Davis, Foster, Noyes, and Central (Davis, Foster, and Noyes being the most dense). Living off Evanston Loop NU shuttle, the CTA 201/201N bus, or similar isn't a bad idea if you might be opposed to walking or if you live a little further away.

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in one of the apartments on Hamlin, and that was a perfect place (~8-minute walk to tech, nice area, nice apartment, close enough to campus but far enough to feel not so "in the bubble"). A lot of my friends also lived in some apartments further south along Clark. Those were pretty nice, but they were more expensive, I believe. Hamlin was located more in the residential area while Clark was around all the shops and eateries (closer to the music school, too).

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello everyone, 

I've recently been accepted to the sociology PhD program at Northwestern and will be visiting the university early next month. I'm trying to get a feel on cost of living and areas to live. I've heard its too expensive in Evanston, but that the Roger's Park area is nice. Any other suggestions for places north of downtown but south of Evanston, preferably near the trains?  Thanks so much!  

Hi, 

As a Chicagoan and also someone who will possibly be attending Northwestern in the Fall, I can assure you that the commute to Evanston from northside neighborhoods in the city are not long. Believe it or not, outside of New York, Chicago has the best transportation system in the United States. Its system is second-to-none and is constantly going through renovations. Equally important to note is that there is a specific train that travels between Evanston and Downtown Chicago, the "Purple Line," yes, because NU's color's are purple. What is more, most graduate students at NU tend to reside in northside neighborhoods like Rogers Park, Andersonville, Ravenswood, Edgewater, and some even live in Lincoln Park. With the transportation system and more than enough time, one can commute with ease and safety. 

Additionally, I would conjecture that living in the city is much better than living in Evanston because of diversity of neighborhoods and the local communities that individuals create. Not too mention there is more to do in the "city" than there is in Evanston (a college town). Oh, what is cool about going to school in the city of Chicago is that you can get a U-Pass, which will allow you to ride all of the buses and trains for free during the quarter systems. 

I was born and raised in Chicago and am very familiar with almost every neighborhood and just the city in general. If you have any questions, please feel free to connect with me. 

Hi all,

I am considering attending NU. I am a foreigner who comes with wife and a kid.

Where is best to live, if I want to be close to school (so I can pop by the house now and then, or that my wife/kid can visit me) and have a nice house?

How are the graduate housing for that matter?

Thanks!

Hey Guys, 

I'm mostly joining Northwestern University in the Fall'13 Intake. I was looking for some advice regarding housing/accommodation. I have not done any comprehensive study about the facilities, so kindly forgive me for my ignorance on some issues. I have a few questions - 

1. Do most students live in apartments outside the campus? 

2. What are the average living expenditures in the Evanston region? (Monthly Rent, mainly).

3. Which areas should a student look for, considering factors like connectivity and expenses?

Best Regards, 

Aditya 

2. What are the average living expenditures in the Evanston region? (Monthly Rent, mainly).

3. Which areas should a student look for, considering factors like connectivity and expenses?

2. Concerning rent: $800 will get you a private bedroom in a modest apartment within walking distance to campus. My (undergrad) friends, all of whom walk to campus, pay anywhere from $350 to $1600. The low end requires cramming three people into a "vintage" one-bedroom apartment. The high end is a private studio at the luxury Park Evanston.

3. Students congregate near intercampus shuttle stops.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I have a question to those who are familiar with Chicago (especially Evanston) standards of life. What amount of money would you consider a minimum to live in Chicago or Evanston?

Hi everyone!I hope to rent an apartment in Evanston or Rogers Park starting this fall. I am not an American and I am rather confused by all the apartment hunting process. How far in advance would you advice me to arrive to Evanston/ Rogers Park to make sure that I am not left homeless?

Depends on what you mean by "minimum." I'm not sure how much this will help, but in Hyde Park:

My current expenses (off-campus, sharing an apartment unit 20 minutes walk from campus with four other roommates, & I'm rounding up the numbers): $30 a week for groceries (x 52 weeks = $1560) + $500 rent (x 12 = $6000) + additional expenses (books, eating out, coffee, dentist, doctor, etc. = .... I don't know, but feel free to insert an exorbitantly high price for however much you wish to estimate, this part depends in part on you) = $7560 + [insert your own additional expenses].

Hello everyone! I have a question to those who are familiar with Chicago (especially Evanston) standards of life. What amount of money would you consider a minimum to live in Chicago or Evanston?

As a current Evanstonian, I would say that, if you're frugal and smart about going out, you could live on $800-$900 for rent, and about $200-$250 for living expenses per month. If you happen to catch a particularly good deal or sublet in Evanston, you might find a place for ~$600-$700. A lot of grad students live in Rogers Park down a little on the Red Line. It's a cultural wasteland for the most part. There's not much to recommend it beyond the facts that you can get to the University on the L in under 20 minutes and that the rents are lower, e.g. $500-$700.

Food and other basic living costs here aren't too bad. If you're looking for a grocery store within comfortable walking distance to the University, all we have is a Whole Foods ($$$). If you're willing to carry your groceries a little further, you have a bike, or you have a car, there's a small Jewel about a mile and a half from campus. We have a few new, kitschy restaurants like Found that are a little pricey, but worth it. There aren't too many good bars in Evanston, so you'll have to commute into the city for things like that (which will offer you a great variety of cost choices). Never go to the Keg, by any means. BY ANY MEANS. The Celtic Knot is good, though.

Our beaches are free when they're open. The campus is pretty. We're starting to have a bike theft problem, but considering the crime rates in other parts of Chicago, I'll take it.

A last note about apartments: There are some really great apartments and then there are some not-so-great apartments, the same could be said of anywhere. For the most part, though, I would recommend finding a place with more amenities at a higher price point even if it means having to scimp and save elsewhere. The lowest rent apartments will be crowded by undergrads (because we don't have enough on-campus housing) and often have no amenities like laundry, AC, radiators that don't sound haunted, etc. Also, be prepared for walkups. Do some squats before heading north.

Also, the Purple Line stops running at 2am and the night bus connecting Howard (the northernmost red line station) and Evanston has been discontinued.

Recommendation: live in Evanston if you find a good place (duh.) but consider a different suburb/neighborhood if you want better nightlife or lower rents. If you rent up here in Purpletown, you're probably looking at $700-$800 for anything decent. More like $900 if you want something fit for a real adult.

Emdave, thanks much! I even printed out your post because there's lots of helpful info I will def need should I go to NW (still debating my choice). Wow, looks like life is rather inexpensive in Evanston and its nearby places.