Unknown Interviewers

edost

I've been invited to an interview via Skype. The invitation did not specify which members of the faculty will participate, and I have no idea if my POI will be one of them. Normally, I'd familiarize myself with my interviewer's work before the interview, but in this case I don't know whose work to read up on. Any suggestions?

I thought calling to ask who the interviewers are might look bad.

I don't think so :) Saying "But I NEED TO KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" - yeah, that'll look bad :P But politely inquiring whether you'll receive further information on who your interviewers will be is totally okay, imho! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had an interview request last year where I was sent a generic e-mail by the course secretary that I would be interviewed by the course director. I read up on all her research interests, which were from a completely unrelated topic to my own, but I thought it would impress her.

When I turned up for the interview, it turned out that I was greeted by one of the three potential supervisors I had listed on my statement of intent to the program. The worst part was that these three had many similarities and differences to my own interests, and it was difficult to gage what exactly his own interests were and I couldn't remember off-hand. I think he realized it at the interview. I was pretty ticked off by the sneakiness of the admissions committee.

My advice would be to be familiar with what you want to pursue and if you put down any people you wanted to work with, be prepared to be interviewed by them or those with similar interests/potential supervisors.

• 2 weeks later...