Bank Street

artlove

Can anyone give me opinions/feedback on Bank Street's Museum Education programs? Not the teacher's certification, just the MS in Museum Education. It sounds like a strong program, and I wonder why I never hear more about it. Apparently it's well respected in New York and around, but as a west coaster I hear very little about it and would like to know more about its general reputation outside of the tri-state area. I don't even really see that much mention about it here on grad cafe... hmm.

Much thanks in advance!

Honestly? I'm interested in museum studies, I live in New Jersey and went to school in Connecticut, and I've never heard of it. Sorry. A MS sounds cool, though. Is there conservation training involved?

Same, I'm also from the NY/NJ area and I've never heard of it. I hope someone else can chime in and give you some information.

To be honest, I haven't heard much about it. I went to a member of AAM's professional development committee when making my list of schools and he didn't mention it (but at the same time I wasn't really looking at ed, I've been bitten too many times working with school groups - literally). The description on http://perceval.bio.nau.edu/downloads/acumg/museumstudiesprograms.pdf seems like they have a good curriculum but the lack of solid numbers annoys me a bit.

I grew up in PA so that would explain why I haven't heard of it, if we talked about MST programs in New York it was Cooperstown.

I've done internships in museum education and Bank Street has always been highly respected by my supervisors. My experience is in New York City, but I think that any museum education department would think well of a Bank Street degree. It's a very specific program, though, so a broader MA in art history or museum studies with good museum education internships might be a better way to make you eligible for a wider variety of jobs....

Thanks for the feedback. I've been thinking the same thing, that it may be too narrow a degree. Coupled with the fact it doesn't seem incredibly reputable/well-connected outside the NY area, I may forgo applying for now..