I want to be a sex therapist...So what graduate programs do I look for?

I'm a junior at Millsaps College, and I'm looking to apply for graduate school and get my doctorate. I've considered both sex therapy and art therapy, but i'm leaning heavily towards interest in sex therapy, however, after talking to my advisor, I am unsure what type of psychology program to apply to. She could not offer me any advice as to what type of program would better prepare me for a career in sex therapy. Does anyone know of any programs that specialize in sexology or sexual disorders, or could offer me insights into what type of program to apply to (clinical, counseling, research, etc.)?

Edited by Marin Kiko Kelsey Smith

I'm a junior at Millsaps College, and I'm looking to apply for graduate school and get my doctorate. I've considered both sex therapy and art therapy, but i'm leaning heavily towards interest in sex therapy, however, after talking to my advisor, I am unsure what type of psychology program to apply to. She could not offer me any advice as to what type of program would better prepare me for a career in sex therapy. Does anyone know of any programs that specialize in sexology or sexual disorders, or could offer me insights into what type of program to apply to (clinical, counseling, research, etc.)?

You could go to APA's website and look through each accredited clinical or counseling program. Though I'm betting you would probably find more about sexual disorders in clinical. If you just want to do therapy, I would suggest a masters in counseling, marriage & family therapy, etc depending on your state. If you don't want to do research, a doctorate is not for you. Hope this helps a bit!

Another resource to check out is the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality. My recollection is that they have resource information about what types of programs offer this type of training. Most professional societies offer some type of mentoring program that matches aspiring psychologists/therapists with researchers/practitioners. If SSSS doesn't have a mentorship program, I do know that APS (Association for Psychological Science) does offer one. Best of luck!

What exactly is sex therapy? Forgive my ignorance, but this sounds like it could be different things. Is there a distinction between sex therapists and clinical psychologists who specialize in sexual disorders? Or are those the same thing?