Cornell?

doctoraldude

Slothy, do you have any idea how long Swedberg and Berezin will stay in Florence? It's nicer than Ithaca and they have a fabulous stipend (not sure if it will cover the cost of living in Firenze, though).

I think EUI is usually a 1 year gig, maybe two at most. I dobut they'd be taking first year grad students with them though....

To take things completely off-topic...

Considering that I'm highly unlikely to be accepted in Cornell, I was considering applying to the EUI.

The EUI sounded like a great program until I read that you have to be bilingual and pay something like $20,000 a year in tuition...

I really wish there were more places where middle class Americans could feasibly get a PhD in Europe without a mountain of debt. There's even some great internationalized programs in places like Leiden and Brussels. It's just the European tuition structure and the almost complete lack of tuition waivers/TA/RA work that make things difficult... but if we have to put up with foreign TA's I say so should Europeans...

I agree Slothy. That's why I didn't even bother to apply to Oxbridge (although you can be the lucky bastard who gets their scholarships. There are some good scholarships to Americans in Cambridge).

But the EUI funds all European and Latin-American students (Students from LA are funded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Spain). Unfortunately there is not funding to American students, I think, but what are you complaining about? You have been accepted to top programs!

Moving back to the main topic...

Have anyone else heard from Cornell? What about this posted result stating that they have no funding at this time? Have everyone in the short list already received a message from Cornell? Should I imply that Cornell's admission season is over now? This is really the withering away of all hopes...

I realized that there is a trend in the results page... all admitted students are notified by email, but all the rejected ones have to wait a mail to arrive in April with the bad news. I don't want to wait, so...

Moving back to the main topic...

Have anyone else heard from Cornell? What about this posted result stating that they have no funding at this time? Have everyone in the short list already received a message from Cornell? Should I imply that Cornell's admission season is over now? This is really the withering away of all hopes...

I realized that there is a trend in the results page... all admitted students are notified by email, but all the rejected ones have to wait a mail to arrive in April with the bad news. I don't want to wait, so...

I think I'm the one you're talking about, re: the funding result. I got an e-mail saying I'm on a "short list" of people who they want to admit but can't because of funding problems. When I followed up on this, I was told essentially that they don't make offers unless there's funding attached, and because of the current economic situation, there just isn't the money right now. However, they said that they were working on trying to put together some more funding, so I shouldn't give up hope. I'll update when/if I hear more.

Hey, ladies and gentlemen, please help me here!

Is it normal to a department just to ignore an applicant? I just don't understand... I wrote both to the field assistant and to the DGS asking if they could kindly inform the status of my application, considering that many fellow applicants have already received offers of admission. There have been four days now and they didn't bother to answer me until now... simply ignored :?

I'm pretty sure their admissions process is over now and the fact that some students were put on a waiting list due to the lack of funding and were notified of this decision is a very compelling evidence to me. And yet, why not to inform an applicant that he has been rejected? Can this situation (silence) mean other than rejection?

Hey, ladies and gentlemen, please help me here!

Is it normal to a department just to ignore an applicant? I just don't understand... I wrote both to the field assistant and to the DGS asking if they could kindly inform the status of my application, considering that many fellow applicants have already received offers of admission. There have been four days now and they didn't bother to answer me until now... simply ignored :?

I'm pretty sure their admissions process is over now and the fact that some students were put on a waiting list due to the lack of funding and were notified of this decision is a very compelling evidence to me. And yet, why not to inform an applicant that he has been rejected? Can this situation (silence) mean other than rejection?

Well... maybe the process hasn't ended yet (a "rolling" admission). Have you considered just calling the department?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Doctoraldude! Have you already decided where to go? I know you have pretty strong options...

Well, I see there are two rejections posted here in GC. Do the posters care to share more info? So far, all I heard from Cornell was silence.