LOR Questions

mmblue88

I graduated last May and I wonder how I should ask professors for recs because most of them I only took one class with. The one I did research lab with, well she was on sabatical because of pregnancy and the graduate student back then only communicated with her through email. I tried emailing her numerous times since the R.A position (Spring 07') up until now, she never responded any of my emails. Does that mean I should not approach her in person? (She just resumed teaching this past Fall) I mean, would it means she doesn't want to write one for me and even if I approach her she would say, "Oh, I don't know you, I've never worked with you before."

Is emailing not the best way to approach professors? I mean even to tell them that I am an alumni and would like to schedule an appointment to discuss the LOR?

Or I should just find out their office hours and go back to campus and walk-in their office and talk to them about it.

Some schools say if you have been out of school for some time I may get a LOR from supervisor/employer. How long is "some time"? Would I qualify that status...is LORs from employers not really preferred?

You are less than 1 year out of school, I bet they still remember you, and do NOT get employer recommendations for a psychology program.

My suggestion: email them saying you are applying to grad school, know you only took one class with them, attach some of your work from those courses or a senior thesis, and ask if they would feel comfortable writing you a letter.

If they don't, they will say no. But it is absolutely important, especially going for a PhD, that you have professors (those with a PhD) to write your letters, NOT EMPLOYERS!!!!

"Some time" probably means more like five years plus.

I think email is a fine way to contact your former professors - it's the least intrusive way to put out some feelers.

I graduated last May and I wonder how I should ask professors for recs because most of them I only took one class with. The one I did research lab with, well she was on sabatical because of pregnancy and the graduate student back then only communicated with her through email. I tried emailing her numerous times since the R.A position (Spring 07') up until now, she never responded any of my emails. Does that mean I should not approach her in person? (She just resumed teaching this past Fall) I mean, would it means she doesn't want to write one for me and even if I approach her she would say, "Oh, I don't know you, I've never worked with you before."

Is emailing not the best way to approach professors? I mean even to tell them that I am an alumni and would like to schedule an appointment to discuss the LOR?

Or I should just find out their office hours and go back to campus and walk-in their office and talk to them about it.

Some schools say if you have been out of school for some time I may get a LOR from supervisor/employer. How long is "some time"? Would I qualify that status...is LORs from employers not really preferred?

You really need to put some work into creating a file for your recommenders to work off of, particularly if it's been a while since they've seen your work or have only seen it second-hand. Here's an excellent resource for what to include: http://www.charleslipson.com/Getting-a-good-recommendation.htm (Charles Lipson is a political scientist, but the info is pretty general as far as field). If there are other students you worked with in the lab who still work for this professor (particularly grad students who supervised you), ask her to discuss your work with them. Same goes for others--if you've taken a large course from a professor and did well in it, but they don't know you well personally, ask them to talk with your TA from the class who might be better able to evaluate you. Most professors will incorporate this sort of information into the recommendation.

You really need to put some work into creating a file for your recommenders to work off of, particularly if it's been a while since they've seen your work or have only seen it second-hand.

Yes!! I sent mine a full profile of each school with a cover sheet of my stats. I included info regarding due dates, why I was applying/why it was a good fit, which faculty I liked, contact info for the DGS, and instructions for submitting their LOR's. Creating these profiles means a lot to them - one prof said I deserved my rec on that alone.

My UG was a large university with impersonal classes, so I met with my professors over several sessions of getting to know each other and asking for their advice before asking them for a recommendation. I was actually surprised that they had noticed me in their large classes (which made it easier), but it took time to build that genuine relationship.

Here's what I would do: email them and say you're an alumna who is considering graduate school and would like to meet with them to ask their advice. I would NOT mention the LOR right off the bat, as you proposed. Go to the appt, ask them about their own experiences, how they got to where they are (my profs loved that). Tell them about yourself, what interests you, why you think now is a good time for graduate study, and ask what schools they recommend. Ask if they think you would be a good candidate. If they say yes, ask them if they would feel comfortable supplying an LOR for your applications, and leave them with your academic resume or CV. Tell them you'll be in close contact and will provide more info once your schools are picked out (as mentioned above).

I can't emphasize enough (you may already know, if you've been reading the boards), that getting into grad school is TOUGH and you want every component of your app to be as awesome as possible! Employers are not appropriate for your circumstance.

Hope this was helpful (took forever to type)! Good luck!

Thanks for everyone's invaluable advice. I have emailed a few and they have responded me telling me to send them the forms and my credentials. One of them is out of the country so I could only contact through email. The other ones, I mentioned that I am willing to meet in office hours if it is necessary, but I have yet to receive a response regarding that.