Wait listing is NOT the end!

I've only got two admits, and I am going to be narrowing it down between them after I visit the second one, but I just found out I am waitlisted at a school I could really see myself attending. However, they told me that I won't hear anything until the second week of April. They also don't have funds to arrange a visit, which means I would have to decide sight unseen, should I get in. The waiting never ends...

Sorry to steer the conversation away from distinguished temples, but I need to ask: to those of you who are waitlisted but also have other offers, how are you handling this? Are you going to wait until the last minute to decide, in case you get admitted to another school? Is there basically going to be a massive domino effect happening around the second week of April?

I'm coming late to this conversation, but...thanks to some good advice from posters here, I held on to my waitlist offers until I had the official offer in hand from the school that ended up being my top choice. Then, I notified the other schools within the week. Fortunately for me, my top two choices had their preview weekends early (in February), and so it was easy to make a choice early. So, *someone* on those waitlists will likely hear some happy news soon! Outside of these rare early things, though, my impression from others is that there IS a massive domino effect in April...

This *is* a big decision, so I completely understand people holding on to things. That said, considering how many people are in limbo, my hope is that people will let go of their "bottom choice" offers, or make decisions as quickly as possible, so as to reduce the number of grey hairs forming. Good luck to all - decision makers, waitlisters, etc.!

I wish I could let go of my bottom choice sooner, but I just gotta make my visits and be sure. :( I'll try to do it as soon as I can to help people out!!

Oh, of course -- I wasn't trying to inspire guilt in anyone! I was just trying to gauge a) what to expect and b ) how I should act vis-a-vis the schools I'm admitted to. I also realize I should be notifying a couple of schools that they can take me off their wait lists, but I have no idea how to broach those emails (especially given that I haven't made a decision).

And yes, I know -- there are far worse problems to have.

Also, Trip, seeing your avatar every day (not that I have a Grad Cafe problem!) has inspired me to start reading Go Tell It On The Mountain. :lol:

Edited by coffeeplease

Oh, of course -- I wasn't trying to inspire guilt in anyone! I was just trying to gauge a) what to expect and b ) how I should act vis-a-vis the schools I'm admitted to. I also realize I should be notifying a couple of schools that they can take me off their wait lists, but I have no idea how to broach those emails (especially given that I haven't made a decision).

And yes, I know -- there are far worse problems to have.

Also, Trip, seeing your avatar every day (not that I have a Grad Cafe problem!) has inspired me to start reading Go Tell It On The Mountain. :lol:

Everything I have heard, from faculty and past waitlisters alike, indicates that we have to be really patient, and then be prepared to move rapid fire very close to April 15th.

Hi everyone,

Reading this topic has been very helpful and given me a lot of hope. My situation is with NYU, my top choice for magazine journalism. The head of the department e-mailed me and gave me my status, calling me an "outstanding potential candidate" and someone she "would love to have in her graduate program if space becomes available." Now i have no idea how close I am to the top of the waitlist, but it seems positive enough and no one else has been waitlisted for my program on the forum. I e-mailed her almost immediately, telling her that NYU was my first choice (it is!) and that I would definitely like to be considered at a later time. She said they make decisions on their wait list in the second half of april. Should i e-mail later telling her I am still interested and that I would still like to be considered (around the 15th, when decisions have been made), or will that irritate her? I'm an international student so i can't visit, but I want to do everything I can to increase my chances of acceptance. Any tips? Thanks again for this thread guys, really gives me some hope! And good luck to all you wait-listers!

Edited by nikim89

Hi everyone,

Reading this topic has been very helpful and given me a lot of hope. My situation is with NYU, my top choice for magazine journalism. The head of the department e-mailed me and gave me my status, calling me an "outstanding potential candidate" and someone she "would love to have in her graduate program if space becomes available." Now i have no idea how close I am to the top of the waitlist, but it seems positive enough and no one else has been waitlisted for my program on the forum. I e-mailed her almost immediately, telling her that NYU was my first choice (it is!) and that I would definitely like to be considered at a later time. She said they make decisions on their wait list in the second half of april. Should i e-mail later telling her I am still interested and that I would still like to be considered (around the 15th, when decisions have been made), or will that irritate her? I'm an international student so i can't visit, but I want to do everything I can to increase my chances of acceptance. Any tips? Thanks again for this thread guys, really gives me some hope! And good luck to all you wait-listers!

I was just talking with one of my profs about this, and he said that expressing your interest certainly strengthens your application, as they don't want to admit people who then won't go. So an email expressing your continued enthusiasm wouldn't hurt. I'm a little unclear though -- do you mean that you have other offers that you need to respond to by April 15th? If that's the case, then maybe you could either ask her to be in touch during April, or you could send a follow-up email around the first week or so of April asking about your status.

I was just talking with one of my profs about this, and he said that expressing your interest certainly strengthens your application, as they don't want to admit people who then won't go. So an email expressing your continued enthusiasm wouldn't hurt. I'm a little unclear though -- do you mean that you have other offers that you need to respond to by April 15th? If that's the case, then maybe you could either ask her to be in touch during April, or you could send a follow-up email around the first week or so of April asking about your status.

I've been back-and-forth about this in my head - very catch-22 and such. I sent a follow-up email this week to my waitlist school - I waited a few weeks from my initial communication, until I had a couple other questions so I wouldn't have to send separate emails and thereby bog them down. All my earlier emails from them were kind and encouraging. This time...no response. I have the "good angel" on one shoulder saying: "They're just busy people! They still love you! Maybe they're even waiting to get back to you because they think they can offer you a spot soon!" Cue the shoulder-devil: "You've really done yourself in by annoying them. You've been moved to the bottom of the list! Or there was something terribly miscommunicated in your tone. They think you're rude, uncouth, and overeager."

Then again, if I didn't try to keep contact, I'd be kicking myself, thinking I wasn't showing enough enthusiasm and was thereby doing myself in. Too bad it would be weird to send another email saying, "Don't worry, guys. I'm not this annoying in real life. And I love you all JUST the right amount."

I totally intended my username to sound like the enthusiastic kind of anxious, and the irony now is that it's clearly the other kind...At least we're all on the express train to Stressville together, right?

I've been back-and-forth about this in my head - very catch-22 and such. I sent a follow-up email this week to my waitlist school - I waited a few weeks from my initial communication, until I had a couple other questions so I wouldn't have to send separate emails and thereby bog them down. All my earlier emails from them were kind and encouraging. This time...no response. I have the "good angel" on one shoulder saying: "They're just busy people! They still love you! Maybe they're even waiting to get back to you because they think they can offer you a spot soon!" Cue the shoulder-devil: "You've really done yourself in by annoying them. You've been moved to the bottom of the list! Or there was something terribly miscommunicated in your tone. They think you're rude, uncouth, and overeager."

Then again, if I didn't try to keep contact, I'd be kicking myself, thinking I wasn't showing enough enthusiasm and was thereby doing myself in. Too bad it would be weird to send another email saying, "Don't worry, guys. I'm not this annoying in real life. And I love you all JUST the right amount."

I totally intended my username to sound like the enthusiastic kind of anxious, and the irony now is that it's clearly the other kind...At least we're all on the express train to Stressville together, right?

We ARE in this together...even if it's the Crazy Train Express. :) Also, listen to your good angel. The ARE busy people, and most places are having midterms/spring break right now, which is a stressful time for everyone.

Also, your comment reminded me of this, and how perfectly it captures what I wish I could convey to these places:

dating-boy-girl-scared-flirting-ecards-someecards.png

Also extra-stressed because I sent a long email (earlier this week) with all sorts of questions to the professor who helped me out the most with apps/recs/undergrad English, and he never responded. I was all, "WHY am I being abandoned?!?"

Then I realized it's spring break. The man is probably in the Bahamas or something.

*All aboard!*

Anxious-- I understand how you feel completely. I sent my waitlist school's DGS an email this week, and there was no reply. I also found out that not replying is his style, which made me feel better and also worse. If my initial questions are never answered, how am I supposed to justify a followup email? I was thinking after visit weekend I could shoot him another one, reminding him that the school is my top choice and asking when he thinks people will accept to decline their offers? Of course, he won't know... But that seems better than being all "Hey! If you make me an offer, I will accept IMMEDIATELY. Just reminding you!" Or maybe it's not... Who knows.

And to think, there's probably another month of this in the works. I AM AT MY WITS END! I think I boarded the Crazy Stress Train a couple months ago already. I'm the girl tearing her hair out in the corner, surrounded by empty bottles and candy wrappers.

Coffeeplease--I noticed your signature changed, and while I 100% sympathize, I couldn't help laughing

Ok, my part in this process is over, but I'm feeling grumpy on the behalf of applicants everywhere who are still gnashing their teeth. It seems to me that this whole process is just a little bit cruel. In particular, having it extend into April just seems...unnecessary. It'd be great if all schools could make decisions and do visits earlier. I mean, waiting until April then throws some people maybe into May - which gives you very little time to pack up where you're living and start a brand new life somewhere else. I don't know about you all, but I have a house to sell. I can't imagine not finding out for sure until April, then having to clean it up and get it on the market...I think it would make the whole PhD thing just not happen...

Not to mention, it extends the stress of this whole process for some people while they're trying to finish up their M.A....

BTW - Trip Willis - my earlier post was not meant to make you feel guilty in any way. I hope it didn't come across that way!

Coffeeplease--I noticed your signature changed, and while I 100% sympathize, I couldn't help laughing

I thought it would more accurately reflect the facepalm-moment I had when I found out I would have another month of waiting. ;)

Edit to add: I think all of us on the Crazy Stress Express should meet in the dining car for drinks.

Edited by coffeeplease

So my official waiting for notifications season has ended, hooray! But, alas, with only 2 waitlists and no acceptances, this crazy stress express ride is a whole lot of 'crazy stress' and not so much the 'express.'

Do I really have to hold out a shred of hope for another month or more? I mean, I love the hope part, but if this turns out to be just another pair of non-admits, then it's like in baseball when someone hits a really high fly ball and everyone thinks its going to be a home run . . . Right up until the outfielder catches it for an out. And then the announcer says "yup, that was a really long out."

Sorry to steer the conversation away from distinguished temples, but I need to ask: to those of you who are waitlisted but also have other offers, how are you handling this? Are you going to wait until the last minute to decide, in case you get admitted to another school? Is there basically going to be a massive domino effect happening around the second week of April?

I have been struggling with this same thing. I'm looking at funded offers from two schools (Texas and Florida) and wait-listed at my favorite program (Pitt--not definitively my first choice, but definitely favorite program). The admits I have are both pretty good, but I'm also applying with my SO, and two of his possibles are 3 hours from Pitt. Do I dare wait to hear from them? Anyone else experiencing something similar? There's also the added concern of the rank of the schools...

I have been struggling with this same thing. I'm looking at funded offers from two schools (Texas and Florida) and wait-listed at my favorite program (Pitt--not definitively my first choice, but definitely favorite program). The admits I have are both pretty good, but I'm also applying with my SO, and two of his possibles are 3 hours from Pitt. Do I dare wait to hear from them? Anyone else experiencing something similar? There's also the added concern of the rank of the schools...

If Pitt is your probable top choice, I would wait. I am assuming it is top choice because of the quality of the program, not because it's near your SO's possibles

Texas is ranked 17; Pitt is 35.

And yes, Pitt is my favorite because I love their children's lit faculty/program. In my head, it's the "perfect fit" school. That said, Texas has a couple people I would love to work with, and I hear their dept is especially open to sort of non-traditional specialties like mine. I'm sure I.l be happy at either one. Just sounding out others' opinions.

Do I really have to hold out a shred of hope for another month or more? I mean, I love the hope part, but if this turns out to be just another pair of non-admits, then it's like in baseball when someone hits a really high fly ball and everyone thinks its going to be a home run . . . Right up until the outfielder catches it for an out. And then the announcer says "yup, that was a really long out."

Yes! This describes my feelings on the matter perfectly. I've already been wait listed for well over a month now, and I've really got my hopes riding on my wait list program. If it doesn't work out, I don't know what I'll do. If I wait two months and still get a no, I will be completely devastated.

Does anyone know when most of the visiting weekends for the major programs are over? I imagine the grad coordinators at our various programs will start receiving some of their answers shortly after students with multiple offers (who don't have any wait lists) have completed all of their visits. I would imagine for most programs that would probably be before the third week in March...any ideas or opinions on this?

So my official waiting for notifications season has ended, hooray! But, alas, with only 2 waitlists and no acceptances, this crazy stress express ride is a whole lot of 'crazy stress' and not so much the 'express.'

Oh yeah. I hear you. I have one waitlist and seven rejections. It's at my top choice. This application season for me will either be the most awesome or most tragic story ever.

Aeplo--Best of luck with Pitt! Fit vs reputation is a tough call. Maybe make a list of the pros and cons of each and see for things match up? Also in the end, grad school is whatever we, the students, make of it. Imagine where you want to be when you hit the job, and which school could help you get there the best. Either way though, all three are excellent programs, so I don't think you'll have an issue with reputation trumping fit in the end no matter which one you pick.

And Wikichic, I think after recruitment weekend(s) might be when we start hearing back from program(s). But my school (oh, I wish it were mine in the 'I'm going there' sense!) has one of the latest ones out there, so acceptees to your schools might hold out for longer if they have late recruitment weekends as well. I think going to the dining car for drinks might be our sanest option at the moment. Of course, this has already been my coping mechanism for weeks...

Hi coffeeplease,

No, actually the NYU program director told me that she makes all her decisions on the wait list in the second half of April. So I'm not sure when I should send her the e-mail expressing my continued interest. Thanks for the help!

Edited by nikim89

Hi coffeeplease,

No, actually the NYU program director told me that she makes all her decisions on the wait list in the second half of April. So I'm not sure when I should send her the e-mail expressing my continued interest. Thanks for the help!

What I meant was: are you in a position where you will have to respond to other offers before you hear back from NYU?

Yes actually I am, but now i am reconsidering going to grad school at all and postponing by a year if I don't get in. But she said second half of april, and my decision needs to be made by the 24th, so I just COULD hear back before that decision needs to be made.

Yes actually I am, but now i am reconsidering going to grad school at all and postponing by a year if I don't get in. But she said second half of april, and my decision needs to be made by the 24th, so I just COULD hear back before that decision needs to be made.

My suggestion would be to think about your options and email her at the beginning of April if you're still interested in NYU. Just a gentle, professional note along the lines of, "I'm still interested in your program." It won't be irritating -- it's not like you're pestering her everyday with, "Have you decided yet? Have you decided yet? Have you decided yet?" As I said, they want to admit people who will end up there.