MSW + Job = Possible?

I know with the MSW comes a practicum. The practicum I am seeing on most university websites (Canadian) are that the practicum takes up about 21 hours each week.

With the practicum hours and classes and hours set aside for classwork, do you think it would be possible/practical to have a job during being in a full-time MSW program? I am going to try really hard to save money this year, so I'm hoping a job would be an option. However, I would love other opinions on this matter. Let me know your thoughts! :)

It's doable. At every MSW information session the speaker has brought up the topic of working while enrolled in school. While they discourage working full-time while enrolled full-time, they also say that a handful of students get by that way each year. However, for those select few that do get through the program working full-time, the speaker stressed how little sleep and unbearable the course load + work was for them.

If you're talking about part-time work while enrolling full-time, then it shouldn't be impossible.

If you receive work-study funds, some programs allow you to use your practicum as your work-study job. So it's worth asking to see if you can do this at your program. I know it has really helped my friend since she doesn't have to work a part-time job in addition to her field placement.

Yes, it is possible to do practicum and a part-time job. In my MSW program, I did fieldwork (16 hours per week) and part-time work-study job (10-12 hours per week).

If your fieldwork requires 16-20 hours per week, make sure your part-time job doesn't exceed 15 hours per week. The worst-case scenario is you will risk doing poorly in your coursework. Remember, your schoolwork always come first no matter how much you need the extra money. Find a balance. That's also why student loans exist.

Edited by michigan girl