Engineering/ Engineering Management graduate school

masterminds12

Hello guys!

I recently joined the forums and I wasn't sure whether there already was a 'What are my chances' thread and if this is the right place to pose this question but I figured I'd do it anyway until someone objected.

I'm a Berkeley graduate with a Bioengineering and Economics degree: 3.365 GPA and 780 Quant/ 660 (bad I know ;(..) Verbal GRE scores. I have done research for 1.5 yrs, have 2 internship experiences, leadership, used to volunteer; pretty much decent soft skills.

I know I'm not hundred percent certain about PhD but I do know that after working for a few years, I may want to look into a masters.

I'm hoping the collective wisdom of the more experienced members at thegradcafe could give me a realistic expectation of what my chances are of getting into a top 10 engineering masters program in BioE or MechE or a top 5 Engineering Management masters program.

Also, how useful is the M.E.M (eng. management) program? How should I strengthen my application for the future i.e. GPA wise, etc.?

I really appreciate all the help and I'm truly indebted to those who reply.

Edited by masterminds12

hey man,

Sounds like your GPA is a little low for any top Bioeng/BME master's programs. 3.5 tends to be a cut-off line for the top programs, and then everyone with above a 3.5 is looked at more closely for research experience, etc. Everyone's trying to get into the top-10 BME programs, even at the master's level where no funding is provided, so programs can afford to be selective.

Have you gotten any publications? It doesn't have to be as first author (as this is very rare) but having some sort of publication history is almost a must for top programs.

I can't comment on Econ programs, as I'm only applying to Bioengineering / BME programs. I also applied and was accepted to the MEM program at Dartmouth, which is a great degree if you plan on getting into industry and want a leg up over people coming straight out of undergrad. The pay bump is pretty substantial as well as giving you more options career wise.

Your chances at getting into a top MEM program are better but I would really shoot to get a higher Quant score on the GRE's as it seems you have a bit of time. An excellent Quant score + a strong personal statement can help offset your GPA, especially if you can get some stellar rec letters.

Hope that helps.