Graduate Program in Statistics: Master or PhD?

Hi all,

I just want to ask for everyone's opinion on which type of program I should apply to. An upfront disclaimer is that I won't be applying for at least the next two years as I am joining one of the top Economics Consulting firms in June after graduation and intend to stay there for at least two years.

In any case, here are my stats:

School: One of the top liberal arts schools in the US

Major: Mathematics and Economics; Pursuing honors thesis with the Mathematics department. My thesis focus on the statistical analysis of the long memory property in stock volatilities.

Cumulative GPA: 3.94. Major GPA: 4.00

Relevant Coursework in Math:

• Introduction to Analysis A+
  • Mathematical Statistics A+ (placed out of Probability Theory)
  • Time Series Analysis A+ (Placed out of Intermediate Statistics (Regression Analysis))
  • Mathematical Finance A+
  • Applied DE for Finance A
  • Currently taking Measure Theory

Relevant Coursework in Economics:

• Advanced Econometrics A
    • Dynamic Macroeconomics (essentially Macroeconometrics) A
    • Currently taking Evaluating Social Policy (essentially Microeconometrics)

I haven't taken the GRE yet but plan to do so in early June before I start work. As is probably obvious, my interest lies in the intersection between statistics and finance. What school tier should I aim for? How much chance do you think I will have if I apply for a PhD? I am leaning towards the Master now just because I don't have much academic research experience. In all of my past summers I've been working in various capacities for the investment banks.

Would appreciate any advice & feedback.

Best regards,

Anthony

@ANDS: Thank you for your answer. At this point I have preference to do work, so I guess that's tipping more towards a Masters.

And yes, I completely forgot about Linear Algebra (got an A+) . I did take the upper level Linear Algebra course at my school. Measure Theory is considered the second semester analysis at my school.

Thanks

Edited by Dang Hong Trinh

• 3 weeks later...