So... Anyone feel like guessing what happens with regards to TA in second year from this ambiguous offer..

Frozenroses

here is what the letter says:

Year 1: $xxxxxx
(including a Doctoral Recruitment Scholarship and a TA, but no teaching)

Years 2-4:
$xxxxxx
(including a TA and a Department Graduate Scholarship)

Your first year funding is a bit higher than other years, because it includes a recruitment scholarship. It also includes payment as a teaching assistant (TA), but you will not be teaching. In years 3-4, you will teach as a TA during the fall and winter term. Finally, you will hold an Graduate Scholarship (GS) to supplement your pay up to the guaranteed minimum. The GTA and the GS are bundled together (that is, you cannot hold the GS unless you also hold a TA).

So... riddle me this - do I, or do I not have to TA in second year...? How would YOU read this?

Answers ona postcard please x

Thats what I was thinking too... but then the two upper sections are divided because of a financial difference... the trick of it is, obviously, it would be great if I could only TA for two years rather than 3, so I am wondering if theres a way I can hold them to the typo (if it is one) and respond saying 'i would be happy to accept the offer as outlined with X amount for 1 year and X amount for three years after, and, as stipulated in the offer letter Teaching TAships which are undertaken in years 3 and 4'. Since they have it in the offer letter, surely I have some leverage?

Thats what I was thinking too... but then the two upper sections are divided because of a financial difference... the trick of it is, obviously, it would be great if I could only TA for two years rather than 3, so I am wondering if theres a way I can hold them to the typo (if it is one) and respond saying 'i would be happy to accept the offer as outlined with X amount for 1 year and X amount for three years after, and, as stipulated in the offer letter Teaching TAships which are undertaken in years 3 and 4'. Since they have it in the offer letter, surely I have some leverage?

Yeah definitely going to second rising_star. Trying to leverage a typo in such a way is going to make you "that guy" in the department, should you choose to accept their offer.