The University of Edinburgh

Hey there!

I am interested in applying to a masters (the new MPP program) at Edinburgh. I have a few questions that I was hoping you all could help me out with.

What would be the impact being a U.S. student graduating with a degree from a U.K. based University? I know that the world has changed, and many people take different routes to get their degree, but I want to know if anyone has any questions or difficulty applying for jobs in the U.S. (or anywhere else outside of the U.K.) after receiving a masters degree from Edinburgh (or anywhere else in the U.K).

I'd also love to know if people know about or have any experience with the new MPP (Masters in Public Policy) program at Edinburgh through the Academy of Government. Since they are only in the first year, the only information I have is through correspondence with staff and information on the webpage. I would love to hear from the perspective of other students.

If there is anything else I should know, tips, ideas, general experiences, I'd love to hear about them as well! Just some background on me: I studied abroad at the University of Edinburgh and I have been back to visit quite a few times, so I know the landscape, the buildings, and the city quite well, but I would still love to hear from others who have studied or are thinking of studying at Edinburgh Uni. Obviously, this is a big decision to pack up my life and move to another country, so I want to be as informed as possible.

Thanks so much! :)

Edited by SweetPea_45

I think it's best if you talk to someone within your department/ field at your uni about the recognition of a degree from the U.K. The younger the person, the better because they'll usually have more relevant advice from their recent experiences.

My general impression is that Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Imperial, and Edinburgh's degrees are all pretty well-recognized on a resume and well-regarded by U.S. employers. In any case, I also studied abroad at Edinburgh and kept dreaming of its tall spires, so I'm applying to the Modernism program in Eng. Lit.