UMASS MFA Directing Fall 2012

Abby.Roo0

Hey all!

Bit late to the game but am getting pins and needles sitting on my hands trying to refrain from calling and checking on the status of my application. I applied to the Fall 2012 MFA Directing program at UMass Amherst and am still waiting to hear. If anyone has heard anything (interviews etc) could you post put a gal out of her misery? I know most applicants hear around this time but the suspense is killing me.

Good luck to everyone out there, this is excruciating!

I also applied to that program, along with several others. I have not heard from UMass. I'm hoping Monday or Tuesday. And yes, this is excruciating!!! I applied to 8 programs. So far, 3 rejections, and 2 interviews. So I'm waiting to hear back from 3 schools. Did you apply anywhere else?

Ozan

Hey!

I actually didn't apply anywhere else - not because I think I'm a shoe-in (far from it!) but because of all the MFA programs I just liked UMASS the best. I've got a pretty good directing/teaching gig right now so I'm trying to not to be heartbroken if it doesn't happen but I really liked the overall program philosophy and have heard good things from former students. I had this arbitrary span of this week to hear about an interview but am trying not to psych myself out!

Best of luck and keep us posted:)

Yeah, I've also heard great things about the program. And there's nothing wrong with knowing where you want to go and just applying there.

As far as hearing back, it's tough to say, but last year someone on these forums heard on Feb 18th. Also, the application was only due just over a month ago. So, I think your guess about this week is probably right or pretty close. But who knows, it might be next week. I actually assumed I got rejected from a school because they were taking longer than the website suggested. A few days later, I got asked to interview. So, try to stay positive! Best of luck to you too! And definitely keep us posted, as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet - I can only assume the rejection letter is in the mail at this point, but I also don't know if they rank candidates and contact them round by round. I thought I'd have heard something (positive or negative) by March 1st but now I'm just playing the dread the mailbox game:)

Will keep hoping (also don't know if they strictly contact by phone or if email is also a possibility) but will also keep posting.

In my experience (and also from what I've heard), you find out about interviews via email. Phone calls seem to be used for 2nd round interviews (for schools that do that) and acceptances. I'm also leaning toward assuming I was rejected. I know you only applied to one school, but this whole interview thing for me has been really counter-intuitive. The only 2 programs that I got interviews for were 2 of the most competitive ones (get hundreds of applicants), and programs that seem to be a little less popular/competitive have been completely silent. If anything, I thought it would be the other way around ... weird. I wish more MFA directing applicants would post in the results or in the forums, but oh well ... And yes, please post either way, as will I.

• 3 weeks later...

Rejected (as it looks like I was from all the schools I applied to). I had already assumed as much, but I just got an email to check my application status ... Oh well, I'll try again next year.