Am I out of the running?

darkestfog

I just received a rejection from Stanford today and am beginning to question my confidence in my choice of programs. I'm still waiting on Cal Tech, UMich, and Berkeley, but I am sensing encroaching doom. I haven't heard anything from the prior three programs I mentioned.

Does anyone know what's going on with Cal Tech? I know a few emails were sent for interviews... does this mean that I don't have a chance at this point if I haven't been contacted? Also, the same for UMich? Of course, I am wondering like many others about Berkeley, since many people were contacted for interviews, but there's no point in discussing that here since there is another thread dedicated to that.

Finally, a question for those that have been in my situation before and then ended up being rejected from everywhere they applied to: should I be doing anything right now to prepare for this possibility, like researching masters programs with late deadlines? I do have a great job semi lined up in case all else fails (I got an offer which I declined, but they asked me to get in touch with them again if my grad school plans flop) but I overwhelmingly prefer grad school as the next step in my career.

i haven't heard either. the good news is that some people got multiple accepts and can't go everywhere. we still have a chance, even if we weren't early picks. who CARES? in is in.

in my opinion, silence at this point is better than a reject letter.

i'm sitting here optimistically. i've gotten into one great program, so the rest is just icing ont he cake.

I don't know what's a good program, but I know not to expect too much as I did internships instead of research as an undergrad and had to take way too many classes for a dual degree.

Your signature mentions you got into UCSD already so you're not in a bad position. The program here is reasonable and well funded. There are certainly better programs, but things here aren't bad and the weather certainly is good. (Though that gets on my nerves sometimes, I could do with a spot of rain now and again.)

We actually have parties when there's thunderstorms here because they're so rare. I remember sitting out on a porch my freshmen year with a friend or three and quietly drinking, playing music and coding as the thunder just kind of rumbled overhead.

*coughs* Alright, I'll be quiet now. :)

Do you think I should go to UCSD vs. Harvard?

Harvard is a lot better location for me and the research is a better fit I think.

But, UCSD visit day includes:

Sorry if I am thread jacking.

The harbor cruise is not as impressive as it sounds if it's what I think it is. (But I'm happy the department came up with that, it's a good gimmick...) But check out both campuses, see what you like. I'm not familiar with Harvard's program, but it didn't look all that great to me when I was looking at schools. This all vastly changes about based on your area of focus though... what is yours? I can at least tell you whether the cluster you'd be working in here is good and probably could provide a brief comment or two on any potential advisors you might be looking at...

As for thread jacking, I hope no one is too concerned about it, they can just skip over these posts if they don't like them, or we can take this conversation to PM.

My undergrad degrees are in CS and Business(Econ) from Wharton. The Harvard group I would be working with is EconCS. They seem relatively new but do stuff like game theory, AI, and complexity (of economic problems.) It seems like a good fit for me.

UCSD I would probably be doing systems (less on the OS side and more P2P, networks, or distributed stuff.) At least those were the professors that were CCed on my acceptance email :D

It does sound like Harvard would be a better fit.

If you were interested in applying any of your work to security though, it is possible UCSD's sysnet group would find interesting things to do for you... you should contact some of the professors CC'd on your acceptance and check what they were interested in you for. If you want, PM me the list of names and I'll tell you which gets overloaded with e-mail and which would likely be the best to start with. :)