UConn, anyone?

Hmm, didn't see anymore Phd acceptances go up on the board today. So was it just the two fellowships that we're aware of? Trying to figure out if should consider this story closed as well . . .

Ughh...don't say it...it would (most likely) be the end of the road for me.

Does anyone know how many new PhDs they typically accept?

Is the pervading view still that *both* acceptance posts were fellowships? As in, there are more acceptances to come? I know I asked before, but I wonder about the number of students they typically admit. Since there are some MA acceptance discussions here, I've become more dubious about holding out hope. Then again, I suppose every school has its own timeline quirks.

Not that I expect any true solutions (aside from the official word), but perhaps for a while, I can be sustained by your conjectures. :mellow:

Looks like there were only TWO PhD acceptances on the results board last year... coincidence? I hope so! AND, although the 2 acceptances from this year noted a fellowship, according to the department website, all English students are fully funded, and "As of 2011, entering MA and MA/PhD students earn $19,384, while PhD students start at $20,396, but can increase their salaries up to $22,676." So, do they only admit students to whom they are able to extend this "fellowship" (which I perhaps mistook for their regular "package")? I've been so excited about the prospect of studying medieval lit. at UConn (although moving to Storrs? I really don't know...), so I've been trying to hold out some hope, but at this point I don't know what to think!

Yeah, Storrs is in-the-middle-of-effing-nowhere, but the program is pretty enticing.

I'm thinking I'm calling this deal closed, though. I hadn't thought to look at the past boards.

Hello, I was one of the people admitted. My e-mail from Ms. Udal was equally terse; it was a short "Congratulations" accompanied by two attachments--a letter of acceptance and another document notifying me of a fellowship nomination. As bdon infers, I may have received an early notification because of the fellowship. I hope more acceptances are on their way. I am 80% sure I won't be taking their offer at this point, so I hope my slot will be given to someone on the program's waitlist if they do have one. Please stay hopeful!

takethiswaltz, do you know if your fellowship was something in addition to the package outlined on their site, or are they one and the same? (To hopefully clarify Isidore's conjectures above.) I think you're our best source of info...

I got the basic package as outlined above and a nomination for a special award, which should be announced shortly... I'm sad I had to drop this great program from the list, but I'm hopeful that one more person will get an acceptance. I wish I had more info. to offer, but that's pretty much it. Best of luck!

Edited by takethiswaltz

Nothing yet... and my status on the application website has not changed. This is making me SO anxious. Sorry to hear your bad news, anxious. At the moment, I can't say I'm feeling too optimistic myself.

Here's a tip: I think my status on the website was available and I never noticed! The status at the top never changed from "APPL" - the "admissions decision" was at the very bottom, and only visible if I scrolled down. It said "available as of 3/1" on mine, meaning when I checked yesterday, I just didn't see it.

Here's a tip: I think my status on the website was available and I never noticed! The status at the top never changed from "APPL" - the "admissions decision" was at the very bottom, and only visible if I scrolled down. It said "available as of 3/1" on mine, meaning when I checked yesterday, I just didn't see it.

Thanks. Now I'm going to look. Ha!

argh! the suspense is killing me. by brain knows that it's probably just a matter of the paperwork on their end to change me over to the "reject" column, but my heart is still hanging on the slim chance . . .

It seems like maybe they have really small cohorts? Only 2 acceptances on the board both last year and this year. I guess I'd assumed that a large school and dept. like UConn would admit more per year...though you know what they say about assumptions. I was looking back to their website and they don't specify numbers as some schools do (like "we admit 10-15 new students...").

I haven't been rejected yet either, so who knows. I'm always tempted to email the department to find out, but I'd prefer the humanless automated email with link or form letter in the mail.

This. Also, it prevents the awkward, pitying conversation with the graduate secretary who informs you you've been rejected. Painful.

Well, I have no soul or feelings so I decided to call and ask what goes on re: statuses and whatnot. She acknowledged that they sent out a bunch of rejections today, and also told me the department generally takes 13 literature folks (plus five medievalists, if anyone in this thread is a medievalist). They also sent out some acceptances and are waiting to hear back. I was told that I'm "looking good" (though that very well could've been a general nicety) but that they have to wait to hear back from the first batch before they address the second batch. A weird way to go about things to be sure, but that's what she said. Hope that helps some!

Readwritenap, you are my hero, you souless wonder, for contacting them and sharing back here (which, incidentally, suggests that you do, indeed, have a soul). That is interesting news, and makes sense (I know that some departments do things like this). I'm just surprised they don't use a waitlist format? And, should we extrapolate that no decision yet means we're on a weird version of their wait list? Honestly, an official notice of "you're wait listed" is actually a really postive thing, even if we don't end up getting a spot, because it suggests that we are borderline (it helps me, mentally and spiritually, in the case that I need to make some considerations about applying again to this or other programs in the next round).

LSU does something similar - they send out wait list notifications pretty late, traditionally, but their wait list is HUGE. They do send out a round of rejections, then they seem to wait list a ton of people, and they whittle that down slowly but surely. I'm not sure if UConn does an "official" wait list, but from what the department told me, anyone who wasn't rejected at 9am or so today is in that second batch of people being considered, should their initial offers get turned down. Who knows what'll happen, but I think it's definitely a good thing for those who haven't been rejected yet, even if the department doesn't email us to say so themselves.