UT Austin (Ph.D.) vs. Stanford (MSEE)

oije

So I just got accepted into the Stanford MSEE program. I applied for the Ph.D. program, but they denied me the candidacy and put me on the MS for EE list. I've been reading a lot about the MSEE degree at Stanford, especially ideas that the MS program is a cash cow. I honestly don't mind having to pay IF I can have at least a chance at the Ph.D. program at Stanford, but I don't know how difficult it is to be able to find an advisor if you're not in the Ph.D. program.

I have also been accepted as a doctoral candidate into UT Austin (my home school) in the CommNetS group. I'm not yet sure of the funding here, but at least I'm in somewhere.

On the other hand, I am also waiting on Harvard, Caltech, and CMU Ph.D. programs. They may be long shots, but I would definitely pick a Ph.D. at one of those places, or even a thesis-based Masters, then the MSEE program at Stanford, especially because the Stanford MSEE program is non-thesis based.

So what are the options if I do want to pursue a Ph.D. at Stanford, but by going into the Terminal MS first? I don't want to be in a program where even the professors won't let me do research because I'm not in the Ph.D. program.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

You might want to not mention your specific lab at UT Austin in your post, you don't want them happening across this and seeing you are less-than-enthused about the acceptance and money they are throwing your way!

But I have two co-workers who did the MSEE program at Stanford. It is extremely intense, and you will not have much, if any, time for research during it. That being said, one of them went on to get their PhD (at MIT...) so I think it is good preparation for the PhD anyway, as long as you can manage to work or squeeze some type of project in there that you could talk about for a grad app afterwards.

As far as the cash cow, my recommenders told me the exact same thing, and that it wasn't worth it. But then again, he said the same thing about every MS program so maybe it's just a common sentiment amongst older professors who got their PhD and think MS people are not worthy haha.

Anyways, I wouldn't discount the UT Austin program, but I bet you'll make some good decisions and it looks like you have some good options. Good Luck!

Thanks for the information! That's a great relief on my part. I didn't want to go to Stanford with absolutely no hope of a Ph.D. down the road. And I think even on its own an MSEE from Stanford is pretty good. How long did your coworker who went to MIT eventually stay at Stanford? Was he in a lot of debt? Or did he find some form of funding?

I'm in the same boat. Got into my home school with funding but MS only at Stanford. From what I've read, it's definitely possible to transition into PhD there but you still have to re-apply like everyone else. MS students can petition to take the PhD quals after two quarters but it's probably pretty difficult. The pass rate is something like 50%, but you do get to take it a second time.

If I were going to Stanford, I'd probably spend the summer doing an internship and studying in the free time. Since it's so expensive I'd try to take the quals as soon as possible.