Marine Sciences

Bionerd2012

I found gentle persistence, if that isn't an oxymoron, to be the best way to get in touch with faculty you're interested in working with. Oftentimes, they'll "ignore" your first request to get in touch just because so many applicants will send out blanket e-mails to any professor remotely connected to their field. Or they are genuinely too busy and your message got lost in the shuffle of daily correspondence. After a week-ish, if I hadn't gotten a reply I'd send a follow up restating that I was interested in learning more about their lab, if they had any openings for a graduate student, and offering to pass along any documents (transcript, resume) they'd like to see. That usually did the trick!

And one rejection is definitely not the end of the world :)

Do you know if Rutgers is done sending all interview invites?

The big interview dates have already been sent out. That doesn't mean necessarily that you won't get an interview. My USC interview was set a week after the (only) big interview date. I don't know why i have a different schedule, and as far as I know, I think I'm the only one interviewing that day.

Best thing to do is contact them.

The big interview dates have already been sent out. That doesn't mean necessarily that you won't get an interview. My USC interview was set a week after the (only) big interview date. I don't know why i have a different schedule, and as far as I know, I think I'm the only one interviewing that day.

Best thing to do is contact them.

My status stil shows No decision. I don't know what to make of it. If they are done sending invites then why don't they change the status already.

All this is really frustrating, tiring, scary etc! :(

@ifrancium, are you interviewing with USC MEB program? The "big" recruitment event was 26-28 Feb, but the group was much smaller than I anticipated, with only 13 student candidates. They indicated 2-3 weeks for decisions, but I received my offer email yesterday! :-) However, I do know that CompBio/Mol Bio group is moving on a different schedule as well as the "Ocean Sciences" program, if that is where you are headed...?

UMiami, RSMAS recruitment event was 3-4 Feb with over 40 student candidates across all disciplines. I thought things were pretty clearly headed in the direction of an offer, but I've yet to receive anything.

All the best to everyone!

Has anyone heard back from UMiami RSMAS?

I heard from the PI about a week and half ago. Looks like the notification is VERY PI dependent, as he was waiting to hear on a round of NSF funding. Funding approved and he emailed me the next day.

I heard from the PI about a week and half ago. Looks like the notification is VERY PI dependent, as he was waiting to hear on a round of NSF funding. Funding approved and he emailed me the next day.

Ah I see... do they also want you to respond to their offer by April 15?

@ifrancium, are you interviewing with USC MEB program? The "big" recruitment event was 26-28 Feb, but the group was much smaller than I anticipated, with only 13 student candidates. They indicated 2-3 weeks for decisions, but I received my offer email yesterday! :-) However, I do know that CompBio/Mol Bio group is moving on a different schedule as well as the "Ocean Sciences" program, if that is where you are headed...?

UMiami, RSMAS recruitment event was 3-4 Feb with over 40 student candidates across all disciplines. I thought things were pretty clearly headed in the direction of an offer, but I've yet to receive anything.

All the best to everyone!

Meh, don't check gradcafe often, so my apologies for the delayed response...

But yes! I heard back from them early last week (acceptance:)). I heard that the official interview weekend had only around 15 students. And that they were supposed to go to catalina island but the weather failed. The explanation for my delayed interview apparently was that my PI of interest was out of town that week.

Also I am applying to the MBBO in MEB.

But best of luck to everyone...!

My status stil shows No decision. I don't know what to make of it. If they are done sending invites then why don't they change the status already.

All this is really frustrating, tiring, scary etc! :(

If you didn't get an interview by now, your prospects to usc meb are pretty grim. The reason why they don't change your status is because the application process isn't over. They are still waiting for students to accept offers. You should have a final status update on April 15th.

All the best,

if

Has anyone heard anything from Scripps Marine Biology? I've seen results posted on this site for other departments, but so far nothing from MB.

Nope, haven't heard a word from that one either... this waiting game is getting on my nerves...

Nope, haven't heard a word from that one either... this waiting game is getting on my nerves...

I emailed them last week because I am getting antsy and need to reply to other places by April 15th. The graduate coordinator said,

We understand that April 15th is the universal deadline for for accepting/declining offers of admission. We are working to get a decision out to all applicants before April 15th. Unfortunately, I cannot give you an exact date but you should expect to hear something soon.

For a telephonic/ Skype interview with a POI what sort of questions are asked in our field? And in general what shoul one expect?

I did one Skype interview with someone at Stonybrook. First the POI did a brief description of his research (even though I was already familiar with it), then we talked about my research interests and goals for the future, then how the two would mesh, then general talking about my past research and classes/what makes me a strong applicant. It was painless, but make sure anyone you live with knows you are interviewing so they don't disturb you (my roommate forgot and walked into the frame to talk to me despite the signs posted all around the house)

I emailed them last week because I am getting antsy and need to reply to other places by April 15th. The graduate coordinator said,

Yep, I also called few other schools last week about when they're planning to send out decisions. They also mentioned that they have until April 15 to send out decisions, meaning they could make us wait until the very bitter end. It appears like many schools are postponing their decisions later this year than they did in previous years, probably since they're still trying to manage next year's budget (many schools are facing serious financial problems these days)...

It's kind of ridiculous to wait this long and this close to the deadline. Most of my friends in other fields have already been notified by all schools, made decisions, been added to departmental listservs... It's nerve-wracking! Not to mention that other fields tend to have more money than the marine sciences, especially marine bio.